Dry leather gloves

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdoc

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Having washed my gloves as described on this forum, I'm now faced with stiff gloves. I wonder if someone can advise as to whether I should use something like saddle soap etc to soften them up?
:sos:

When you next go to use them, wet them again and they will adopt comfortable shape while you wear them.

I used neatsfoot oil on mine, it softened them up nicely, it soaks in and dries without leaving any sticky residue, doesn't seem to bother the bees either.

Regards
CD

Having washed my gloves as described on this forum, I'm now faced with stiff gloves. I wonder if someone can advise as to whether I should use something like saddle soap etc to soften them up?
:sos:

give them up and use rubber gloves, cheap & washable:spy:

It helps if you can push your hands in them before they are completely dry and stretch them back into shape

Donate to a museum :)
Seriously, gloves need to be regularly washed/discarded! Leather ones assist in the spread of pathogens from colony to colony .Varroa has seen the bees immune systems compromised and what passed as hygiene in days of yore is no longer adequate ! Also, residual venom soaked gloves switch on the bees defence mechanisms.
VM

Leather gloves are not permitted in my Associations' apiaries - on bee-health grounds.

But having big gauntlets available could be very reassuring on rare occasions - like doing a cut-out perhaps.
For such work, covering the protective leather with a gunge-protection rubber glove should help to keep mess and any pathogens where they can be easily removed.

But for normal hive work, they are going to be a self-fulfilling prophecy of angry bees.
You'll be clumsier, annoying more bees, and any sting pheromones will be held in the leather to wind up bees for long afterwards.
Rubber, not leather gloves for normal beekeeping!

leather gloves are not good, you can't wash them properly, get rubber gloves!

Each to their own. Far too much made of spreading pathogens, winding the bees up with clumsiness and sting pheromone. There is nothing more clumsy than a pair of nitriles with flapping fingertips due to sticky propolis. Vinyl gloves worn over leather can be discarded as per nitriles, between hives. Leather gloves should be a size smaller for a tight fit. Biggest virtue of leather gloves is as a sweat sponge. In any other format my hands are in pools of sweat which results in skin irritation.

BTW, neatsfoot should keep them really supple.

leather gloves are not good, you can't wash them properly, get rubber gloves!

I agree, only use leather now on very rare occasions when I need to re-queen a tetchy hive, leather great for squishing the errant queen!
I have in past but don't put up with nasty bees anymore and use bare hands or nitrile, clean with a 'Gorilla' sterile hand wipe between each hive or quick change of glove.
S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

use a Clip Catcher to get the queen, not your finger !

Last edited by a moderator:
Presumably none of these leather gloved beekeepers clip their queens wings!

use a Clip Catcher to get the queen, not your finger !

I find clip catchers a bxxxdy nuisance and cumbersome but would if I had to wear leather gloves and wanted to preserve the queen. You don't need one if you use bare hands and want clip.
S

you should be following good practice guides and bin em, use something you can rinse in between each hive inspection, so marigolds or similar, have a bucket of washing soda diluted with water and rinse your hive tool and gloves after each hive inspection. if you get a sting in the glove dip your gloves in the solution, it takes away the e/affect of the sting.

When you got to find several queens and mark them,
a dozen of clip catchers are a must have.

bare hands and clip catchers are great.

Sorry to have stirred up a 'hornets' nest with my question. For the record, last summer I tried the nitriles over the gloves discarding between hives, and on occasions went bare handed. However, I learned a painful lesson when I tried this and forgot to wash my bare hands between hives. Got stung badly.

Sorry to have stirred up a 'hornets' nest with my question. For the record, last summer I tried the nitriles over the gloves discarding between hives, and on occasions went bare handed. However, I learned a painful lesson when I tried this and forgot to wash my bare hands between hives. Got stung badly.

Don't think there's a 'hornets nest' just different ways people see and do things, nothing wrong with discussing as long as its kept that way and doesn't become a silly tit for tat. Its a personal choice which way you wish to go, after all they are your bees and you should tend them the way you want and works for you.
All the best
S

Having washed my gloves as described on this forum

If you believe everything written on the forum you will be in for a hard time!

Latest posts

Back