Dry leather gloves

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a goose wing for moving bees off comb. I'm not a traditionalist, but it worked for Dad and does fine for me! I'm fine with the myriad of opinion offered on this site and most is well meant. However, I can see how it might be off putting to a newby with a question. I have tried most of the suggestions above from bare to nitrile and leather. It is true, there is a big thrill to be had if you sense the bees will allow you to go bare, but there are often too many variables involved to slavishly adopt the mantra exposed by some on this debate. After over 15 years I go in with leather and then see how they are. IMHO of course

I hasten to add although I use bare hands 99% of the time, I carry Marigolds and nitrile all the time and wear them when bees are nasty.

And of course, I only keep gentle bees as I cull permanently aggressive ones...

I refrain from commenting on permanently aggressive bees except to say most countries with bee breeding programs cull them.

Is the elephant in the room that some beekeepers are so scared of their bees that they are unable to handle them without leather gloves? Or maybe it is time that these beekeepers selected bees that are less aggressive? Someone gave me some leather beekeeping gloves 30 years ago and my bees have never been so bad that I have ever needed to use them. I am a Marigold beekeeper (yellow ones as pink ones just aren't me!). I find the blue nitriles as used by the Bees officers tear too easily. Bare hands are not an option with an out-apiary as I find I get propolis on the car door handles and steering wheel. Also sweaty hands can upset some bees.
Why not do what most bee farmers do and take a bucket of washing soda water out with you, it's good practise to clean the hive tool & gloves between hives anyway, like the BDI's do.

The question was asked how to care for leather gloves. As usual, rather than answer or ignore, some had to go down the 'bin them', 'put them in a museum', 'be a real beekeeper' route.
Learn to put up with stings is an absolutely ridiculous piece of advice usually given by someone who doesn't need dexterity to do his job. There are reasons why some wear leather that has nothing to do with fear. I gave my own reason and had to repeat it because it got lost in the ether and VM's insults.
Madasafish has added that he always carries marigold/nitrile for days when the bees are off (and that happens to the calmest) and so does MasterBK. I already stated the reason I cannot wear that type of glove (Even tried the lined nitrile type which became a smelly, soggy, mess covered in mould).
There are certain things I don't want over bare hands (and anything I touch) propolis is one of them.
Clumsiness caused by the gloves is another load of BS. At an association meeting, I was thanked by one group for standing in and they remarked how gentle I was with the bees.

Above all it's about personal preference.

So back on topic, I'd say Neatsfoot would keep the gloves really supple, I've used it a lot on harnesses in the past.

Sometimes I think I need to kit up to open this forum - leather gloves needed for mouse clicking...

I would think it is down to personal preference whether one wears what or not. But equally if full gauntlets are needed all the time, because of being repeatedly pinged and stung no matter how careful one is handling the bees, then it is time to requeen.

acabee

Thank you Swarm for bringing this op back on topic and breathing some sanity into what was fast becoming a 'them and us' debate. Having watched debates on other techy subjects (ventilation for one) there are few hard and fast facts in beekeeping. For the record I've just finished applying neatsfoot to the gloves, they are now clean and supple ready for the season.

Dear Swarm , this thread isn't, about you or your problems either ?
Chill, if you are as excitable around bees, then leather gloves are indeed your best policy :)
The bin them ,consign them to a museum brigade , are answering the original question and advising the discontinuance of the use of for sound reasons brought about by the advent of the varroa mite and it's pathogen vectoring traits !
When I see you in front of an audience of eager newbies,demonstrating the picking up of, marking and clipping a Queen clad in a pair of leather gloves topped by a pair of vynals ,then I will take my hat off to you sir!
VM

Not that i think it will be much good but the firm i work will be selling pond gloves in a few weeks time see pic.
They are fairly thick rubber but have the advantage of a cloth liner in the fingers part to absorb perspitation.

tey are 24in (60cm) long so more than adequate coverage for the arms.

i dont think they will be ideal for BKg though but we will see. the fingers are a bit thick for my liking but have ther advantage of a rough finish to prevent slipping.

if anyone would like to try a pair please pm me name and address and postcode and i will send out when they become available which will be in the next few weeks.

The sweet in not included
Cheers
Phill

Thank you Swarm for bringing this op back on topic and breathing some sanity into what was fast becoming a 'them and us' debate. Having watched debates on other techy subjects (ventilation for one) there are few hard and fast facts in beekeeping. For the record I've just finished applying neatsfoot to the gloves, they are now clean and supple ready for the season.
YW rockdoc, neatsfoot does a really good job of penetrating the leather, it last for ages.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm-j5FsTWiQ[/ame]

If you insist :D
VM

YW rockdoc, neatsfoot does a really good job of penetrating the leather, it last for ages.

I use mars oil on my deck shoes, it really does make the leather soft and supple - but it smells slightly fishy so I haven't used it on gloves in case it winds the bees up. Another one to try is lanolin - you'll get it in the chemists (used as a base for some skin creams) but neatsfoot sounds as good if not better than most.

I use a goose wing for moving bees off comb. I'm not a traditionalist, but it worked for Dad and does fine for me!

Where do you get the goose wing from? I'm not a fan of bee brushes, and would like to try a goose wing.

I use a goose wing for moving bees off comb. I'm not a traditionalist, but it worked for Dad and does fine for me!

Where do you get the goose wing from? I'm not a fan of bee brushes, and would like to try a goose wing.

Turkey feathers do as well.

Try a butcher selling game.

To the forum members that find it annoying, sorry going off topic once again !!!:nono:

I tend not to use a feather or brush but a simple light blow to clear bees from frames and tap on frame to clear any remaining. Might be my dragons breath that clears them but it works!
S

To the forum members that find it annoying, sorry going off topic once again !!!:nono:

I tend not to use a feather or brush but a simple light blow to clear bees from frames and tap on frame to clear any remaining. Might be my dragons breath that clears them but it works!
S
...and melt the cappings at the same time...very efficient :D

Suzi-Q, I get my goose wings from a guy who supplies me with my Christmas geese. They are normally Canada for personal consumption only and traded not bought (that should wake up a storm!). Seriously though, ask a butcher and they should oblige, I've been constantly amazed at what you can get by simply asking!

Ok then, a visit to the butchers shop it is. You know what, I haven't been to a butchers shop in years?!

A friend brought me the tip of a goose wing from her Christmas family visit to Scotland - I was so pleased! There always used to be a few around the carp fishing pond on Clapham Common but somebody is getting there first!

Ok then, a visit to the butchers shop it is. You know what, I haven't been to a butchers shop in years?!

Try first to see if you can get one locally, but if you cannot, then pm me your address and i will post you one, i have plenty of them.

Shame on you - but I'm sure if you start buying butcher's meat again you'd steer clear of Tesco's and the rest for your meat if nothing else :D

Back