Drones pupae on the landing board

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacky50

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This morning after another frost I found a number of drones which looked ready to emerge dead on the 3 hives with landing boards. This includes hives which I haven't opened yet so not down to beekeeper interference :)

I guess it's either because they decided they are diseased or because they decided to delay producing drones as the weather isn't warm enough yet. Any other reasons? Should I be concerned?

or they are short of stores.

Often drone brood is the 1st to be sacrificed in times of dearth.

One of my hives is throwing out the odd drone - I am feeding it!

Weight checked and seem ok. I have been weighing them every month so have reference points. Also I added a super to one of the colonies with some stores in and they are one of the ones removing drones. I accept that this still might be the cause and I will look into it some more.

Also they are in poly hives (Paynes) with OMF, so chilling might have occurred but perhaps less likely. All 3 colonies are really busy right now as the sun is out.

Maybe check their varroa load then

Maybe check their varroa load then

I agree - it could even be that your bees in their nice warm poly hive are developing a hygienic trait and are clearing our larvae and pupae that have Varroa on them. Not sure how you'd check on this though - look for random empty cells in the brood, maybe?

CVB

Weight checked and seem ok. I have been weighing them every month so have reference points. Also I added a super to one of the colonies with some stores in and they are one of the ones removing drones. I accept that this still might be the cause and I will look into it some more.

Also they are in poly hives (Paynes) with OMF, so chilling might have occurred but perhaps less likely. All 3 colonies are really busy right now as the sun is out.

Do you think that adding the super has made it more difficult for them to keep the brood warm hence the evicted brood or are they short of pollen?
Cazza

As recently stated drones (male bees) are expendable. They tend to sacrifice them first, especially if there isn't a virgin queen. So unless you suspect diseases I wouldn't be too concerned. The chill factor could play into it, but if that were the culprit I would expect workers, guard bees, and drones to show up dead, not just drones. So the more information you get, you may find the more questions you'll have.

When hive has much mites, bees can draw handfull of pupae off from cells and carry them out. Floor may have much more those dead pupae. They may be drones too.

Drone pupae in front of hive alarms every time, what is going inside. Is it drone layer there after winter.

. So the more information you get, you may find the more questions you'll have.

Beekeeping is not that difficult. When you open the hive, you get the answer.
Without opening you know nothing but theory.

A dead drone pupa on the entrance is not a big thing. Mostly birds pick those off from entrance.

Hi Blacky,
Check your drones for DWV which is a good indicator of varroa load.

I have a camera in one of mine, and this morning it looks like there are a few - it's a bit dark yet, but it's clearly pupae on the floor (the mesh on the top is actually the OMF):

Hi murray,
If it is 'shells' then they have eaten the larvae. Do we know if they eat infected larvae, because that would be an excellent way of spreading disease!

Hi murray,
If it is 'shells' then they have eaten the larvae. Do we know if they eat infected larvae, because that would be an excellent way of spreading disease!

I can't check - I'm at work and anyway it's only 4C at the hives. Hopefully, it's just the cold weather that has chilled the edge of the brood. If they're being hygienic and removing varroa-infected, eating wouldn't hurt, but if it's something nastier ....

Hi murray,

2 wrong quesses. They have pupa form.
Bees eate larvae, when they are short of protein, but they do not tear capped brood open.

Where they spread the disease then when they have disease in the hive?

My hives flew again after being in their huts 2 weeks. I saw bees on ground which were alive but cannot fly or move. They did not even react on honey. They just stood.

I bet that those are overwintered hives. They are weak and are just dying. They have been in hive during rains and they are now at the end.

I cannot imagine any disease according what I saw.

As long as brood are ok, I do not mind about those weak adults.

Latest posts

Back