Drone - the remote-controlled kind

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShinySideUp

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
None, ex-beekeeper
I dug out my old RC drone today and gave it a run out in the garden. When I flew it to about 10 metres off the ground in the line from the apiary and about 20 metres away I noted that the drone was surrouded by bees -- maybe four or five at a time. Are they attracted by the sound, by the fact that there is flying thing in their flightpath or something else?

When I'd finished flying I found that I had quite few bees flying around the now-quiet drone and one or two landed on it. It was not now near the apiary or the flightpath and I could see no evidence that any bees had been shredded by the rotors. Odd behaviour.

Edit: I have just viewed the videos and I appear to be flying the drone in the flightpath and some of the bees have stopped on the way past for a look but most of them are continuing on. I'll try to get a video tomorrow and have the drone hang statically in the same position so I can see the bees coming at me (the drone, that is).

Last edited:
Look forward to seeing it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Maybe they were just curious or something to do with the frequency of the spinning blades. I think same is true of my 2 stroke grass strimmer. Most times they don't care but one time they were all over it; I had to drop it and run. Could be some particular length the cord was, causing a particular frequency.

I flew a drone around my house on a good day and the bees showed no interest, but occasionally I get crows and gulls flying close or following it if I fly it in a straight line.

Maybe you flew to an old Drone congregation site?

bee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smillie

Look forward to seeing it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Not going to happen in the forseeable future I'm afraid. The weather has closed in here, it is foggy (I'm up in the hills) and tomorrow the winds are supposed to hit forty miles an hour.

No worries. I've an interest in drones but never got around to playing with one.

I can imagine the buzzing of a drone propeller will bring the bees to see what’s going on as they can be very loud.

There are some on YouTube where they fly near hornet nests and the hornets come out to attack

Back