Drone cells in super frame

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbob55551

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi there,
I put on a second super with undrawn frames a couple of weeks ago and when I next inspected I noticed that the foundation they had drawn out had drone sized cells at the bottom of the it. I have never noticed this before on other drawn frames. This is my second year and last year they drew out the frames on a whole super but didn't do this. Is this significant of anything? I have a queen excluder on but I'm wondering if somehow the queen can get up there or an unmated virgin perhaps. Or as usual am I worrying over nothing?
Many thanks in advance.
James

Hi there,
I put on a second super with undrawn frames a couple of weeks ago and when I next inspected I noticed that the foundation they had drawn out had drone sized cells at the bottom of the it. I have never noticed this before on other drawn frames. This is my second year and last year they drew out the frames on a whole super but didn't do this. Is this significant of anything? I have a queen excluder on but I'm wondering if somehow the queen can get up there or an unmated virgin perhaps. Or as usual am I worrying over nothing?
Many thanks in advance.
James

Don't worry .. they often draw drone sized cells around the periphery of frames ... they will fill them with honey in due course if they are in a super. I don't use queen excluders and the queen sometimes lays up in the supers and often it is drone brood ... when the brood emerges they clean them up and fill them with honey. No problem for the bees ... and not really for the beekeeper.

Thanks for that. I was worried about nothing which seems to be something I need to get used to with beekeeping. If only I knew as much about what was going on in the hive as they did.

Latest posts

Back