Dowsing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Did anyone (other than me) make some dowsing rods after the article in BBKA News?
I tried walking around my garden with some and, amazingly, they seem to pick up straight lines in various directions as described in the article. Still seems like mumbo jumbo, but interesting.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio!

My Grandfather taught me how to dows for water, he could even tell you the depth of the undeground stream to within 5 feet using either copper or braising rods or a forked mulberry stick he also used a similar method it to pick up mineral zones underground when he was prospecting

Well....... at the Natural Beekeeping Conference John Harding gave a talk and a demo - I had some rods shoved in my hands and was asked to find "the spot" inside one of the large conference tents - sure enough, my rods responded in the same spot everyone else's had (I hadn't seen where they'd found the position beforehand), so I certainly retain an open mind.

I'm all for "giving it a twirl" - perhaps try dowsing your colonies and find if there's a correspondence between poor or thriving colonies, and perhaps use it when siting new hives - can't see it'll do any harm

Last edited:
Yup, messed around with it as a teenager as kids will; when I read John Harding's book thought I'd give it a go and found lines going through where I'd planned to put the apiary, so the hives were positioned accordingly. Negligible varroa this year but plenty of other fun so am keeping an open mind too. bee-smillie

I need to get his book. It sounds like he is onto something. There was even an article in Bee Culture last month.
Jim

Well....... at the Natural Beekeeping Conference John Harding gave a talk and a demo - I had some rods shoved in my hands and was asked to find "the spot" inside one of the large conference tents - sure enough, my rods responded in the same spot everyone else's had (I hadn't seen where they'd found the position beforehand), so I certainly retain an open mind.

I'm all for "giving it a twirl" - perhaps try dowsing your colonies and find if there's a correspondence between poor or thriving colonies, and perhaps use it when siting new hives - can't see it'll do any harm

I used to avoid stepping on cracks in the pavement :smilielol5:

Sorry Brossy, couldn't resist :)
VM

dowsing

A "sort of" relative of mine told me that the reason my second hive was not performing very well was because it was positioned above water - the first hive , only about six feet or so away was doing really well. I was inclined to move them, but as the season has gone on both hives have become very very strong, so it could of been just a bit of a late starter. Incidently he is also quite adament (and apparently has proof ???) that they did not land on the moon .

:iagree:

Shame the BBKA has tarnished their reputation by printing such an article, and people are taken in by it!

:iagree:

Shame the BBKA has tarnished their reputation by printing such an article, and people are taken in by it!

You could also say the same about the bible i suppose,definately not printed by the BBKA though.

You could also say the same about the bible i suppose,definately not printed by the BBKA though.

Not sure about that....

"Thou shalt not covet bees from overseas"

"Thou shalt love Bayer with all thy heart"

"Thou shalt pay a small sum for BDI whether ye like it or not"

(I've forgotten the other 7)

Ther are 2 locations where my bees have swarmed to on regular occasions and guess what the dowsing rods cross slap bang on the line between the 2 I tried people who where unaware what or where they were looking for and got the same result

Ther are 2 locations where my bees have swarmed to on regular occasions and guess what the dowsing rods cross slap bang on the line between the 2 I tried people who where unaware what or where they were looking for and got the same result
There's our scientific proof then! :)
VM

I am a total skeptic to all this but open to the offer of a trial.

I will even bring my own bent coat hanger and walk a field that has previously been walked on separate occasions with all of the results kept separate until the end.

Latest posts

Back