Doom & Gloom weather coming?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, here south of Guildford ground is rock hard and my lawn is turning yellow. We haven't had sustained rain for quite some time. Yes we've had a few heavy showers but that's about it.

But my bees are still bringing in nectar and pollen from around and about :).

That being said the data suggests we've had above average rainfall http://www.waterplc.com/armitage/rainfall.php?months=12&width=1280&height=1024 I guess it shows how localised weather in the UK can be.

Bobster

Heavy rainfall interspersed with bright sunshine for the last few weeks here in Bristol, plants all around looking extremely lush. Bees are still foraging like champs, lots of yellow pollen.

Heavy rainfall followed by heavy rainfall here, have to pop over to England to keep my tan topped up lol mind you we never have to supply drinking water for our bees here, one less job :)......

We had summer in April and the bees thought so too. Since then it has rained practically every day though there have been sunny spells and it has been warmish at 18-22˚ at times.
We've had wet summers for the last few years so might as well get used to it.

Our bees don't think it is over - a couple of the hives are still raising clumps of drones, and while the nests aren't quite as big as in June, they are still pretty large (all hives, even the big ones are still laying well)

I water my tomatoes in the greenhouse with approx 2 gallons of water from the 50 gallon water butt fed from the greenhouse roof. Mid July it was less than half full... it's now full..

Our grass is lovely and green, the rasps are washed out but the beans are doing well...

HB loves rain so bees are out as long as it's over 16C...(which it was rarely in June)...

Despite the rain its almost perfect conditions at the moment. Some colonies are filling a super a week with Balsam - pity the queens drastically slowed down their egg laying rate 6-8 weeks ago.

Despite the rain its almost perfect conditions at the moment. Some colonies are filling a super a week with Balsam - pity the queens drastically slowed down their egg laying rate 6-8 weeks ago.

I agree the weather is ideal,queens getting mated well,and plenty of nectar still being collected. Have all your drones been evicted now? Queens still laying well down this way,many still laying up two brood box's, and single brood box's with 11 frames of solid brood, including still laying up drone cells.

no sign of summer here, grey and wet with sunny intervals. That said there's plenty of flowers here still, runner beans, clover, balsom ect and when the sun does come up the bees are busy as ever, think we must be a few weeks behind other places.
The grass though is far from going yellow ! took me two hours to strim the allotment paths yesterday it had grown so much

I agree the weather is ideal,queens getting mated well,and plenty of nectar still being collected. Have all your drones been evicted now? Queens still laying well down this way,many still laying up two brood box's, and single brood box's with 11 frames of solid brood, including still laying up drone cells.
Summer is still in full flow in cheshire! both queens still laying strongly, and still making drones, let alone kicking them out - there are plenty in the hives.

we thought last week that the queen from one colony had slowed down laying, but she seems to have made up for it this week, filling all of the cells that have hatched in the interim.

Still waiting, then, for the end of summer...

Not seen drone cells for a while now, there are still quite a few drones in the hives, but none that are obviously being evicted onto the ground (hives are on paving slabs on bark chippings so they usually tend to show up )

Back