dog blood tests sent to america??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+
my girlfriends basset hound has red itchy skin and he had blood tests taking to try and find out whats causing this,the vet told her that the blood tests would be sent to america to get tested and that all dog blood tests like this is sent till america and thats why there so expensive, is this true as i find it very hard to believe?? surely the blood test could be looked at here in the UK????
Darren

This vet sends blood to USA for thyroid testing http://www.centrestagedoggrooming.co.uk/BloodClinic.html

Astonishing!

Yes ... but what's also interesting in this link is that the RCVS is recommending vaccination for dogs NOT MORE FREQUENTLY THAN 3 YEARLY - it took them until 2010 to issue this recommendation. My homeopathic vet was saying 20 years ago that the regime of 'annnual boosters' for dogs was not only unnecessary but actually bad for the dogs immune system. Apart from his puppy dose our labrador has never had annual or any other boosters ~ but I know people whose vets are STILL insisting that annual vaccinations are necessary. Another example of how we are indoctrinated into a regime of over medication to the detriment of natural immunity.

Yes ... but what's also interesting in this link is that the RCVS is recommending vaccination for dogs NOT MORE FREQUENTLY THAN 3 YEARLY - it took them until 2010 to issue this recommendation. My homeopathic vet was saying 20 years ago that the regime of 'annnual boosters' for dogs was not only unnecessary but actually bad for the dogs immune system. Apart from his puppy dose our labrador has never had annual or any other boosters ~ but I know people whose vets are STILL insisting that annual vaccinations are necessary. Another example of how we are indoctrinated into a regime of over medication to the detriment of natural immunity.

:iagree:
- Never seen a poor vet yet!!
my dogs don't get any boosters after their initial course as pups - all 60 odd of them

I retired six years ago and used to do them every two years. Trouble is that kennels insist on annual vaccination

my girlfriends basset hound has red itchy skin and he had blood tests taking to try and find out whats causing this,the vet told her that the blood tests would be sent to america to get tested and that all dog blood tests like this is sent till america and thats why there so expensive, is this true as i find it very hard to believe?? surely the blood test could be looked at here in the UK????
Darren

our collie bitch had bloods taken a couple of weeks ago, the blood was taken at 18:00 monday, the results were back by wednesday afternoon. given this timescale I can't imagine that the blood traveled that far.

our collie bitch had bloods taken a couple of weeks ago, the blood was taken at 18:00 monday, the results were back by wednesday afternoon. given this timescale I can't imagine that the blood traveled that far.

I think some tests are done at Bristol - that's where my last spaniels bloods were take then years ago.

I retired six years ago and used to do them every two years. Trouble is that kennels insist on annual vaccination

Actually, this is not strictly the case. Some Kennels will accept dogs that were vaccinated as a puppy (some require a first year booster as well) but have then been treated with Nosode (Natural remedies). There are some very serious concerns about what vaccinations can apparently adversely do to dogs.

This link is well worth a read:

http://www.canine-health-concern.org.uk/DVD Info Pack.html

Have a look down the page to where it gives questions and answers on Dog Vaccinations.

We, like many other people these days, choose to no longer vaccinate our dogs after their puppy shots - indeed, there are a lot of people who don't even give their dogs the puppy vaccines.

Last edited:
A good thread this one. Our dog gets his blood results much quicker than we do (he is private we are NHS) and I don't think there would be time to get the blood to USA for such quick results. Perhaps it depends what it is they are testing for. There may be some tests which we don't do here in UK

Very interesting about the need (or not) for annual booster injections. When you think about it we only get our children done when they are up to age 5 and then again around 15, so a good 10 years vaccine free and most of our adult lives too unless we go abroad on holiday.

I will get a few more details about the RCVS article to take with me to the vets. My poor doggy is epileptic and has enough done to him without things we could avoid.

A good thread this one. Our dog gets his blood results much quicker than we do (he is private we are NHS) and I don't think there would be time to get the blood to USA for such quick results. Perhaps it depends what it is they are testing for. There may be some tests which we don't do here in UK

Very interesting about the need (or not) for annual booster injections. When you think about it we only get our children done when they are up to age 5 and then again around 15, so a good 10 years vaccine free and most of our adult lives too unless we go abroad on holiday.

I will get a few more details about the RCVS article to take with me to the vets. My poor doggy is epileptic and has enough done to him without things we could avoid.

I attend a clinic at an NHS Hospital and have my blood taken and tested within the time of my appointment. It depends what it is tested for.

We, like many other people these days, choose to no longer vaccinate our dogs after their puppy shots - indeed, there are a lot of people who don't even give their dogs the puppy vaccines.

Yes, but then there were plenty of people who who didn't give their children MMR. Doesn't mean they were right.

:iagree:
- Never seen a poor vet yet!!
my dogs don't get any boosters after their initial course as pups - all 60 odd of them

You have over 60 dogs? Dalmations perchance?

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2

My dogs were done as puppies. There was a warning of a particularly nasty disease knocking around so took the border collie to get another jab 5 years after the first

Yes, but then there were plenty of people who who didn't give their children MMR. Doesn't mean they were right.

I agree with that to a great extent ... but I think dogs and children are subtly different.

All my dogs, actually, have had their puppy vaccines and I think this is sensible if you have 'town' dogs in particular that could be exposed to infection from a lot of other dogs but I'm not sure for 'country' dogs that there is the necessity. I have not had them annually 'boosted' for over 20 years - one of our previous dogs suffered huge outbreaks of wet exzema immeidately after we had his annual booster done. We stopped and our homeopathic vet explained to us that it was undoubtedly the same problem that he had seen many times as a result of annual vaccination. We stopped and have had healthier dogs ever since. Good diet, lots of exercise and no chemicals.

My children all had their MMR & other vaccinations.

I agree with that to a great extent ... but I think dogs and children are subtly different.

Yes - I like dogs, and if they get to be a real nuisance you can always put them down (and you can make some cash by selling their offspring whether their conception is planned or otherwise) :D

You have over 60 dogs? Dalmations perchance?

:smilielol5: not quite - i am responsible for the wellbeing of around about 30 couple of hounds, some of their pups, and a handful of terriers as hunt treasurer (as well as the huntsman who is more of a handful than the rest put together - as well as my spaniel and mini dachsund

Latest posts

Back