Do you seql jam jars when its just been bolied

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
seql?

Fill?

Making jam?

I wash, rinse, drain and then dry in the oven.

I take them out and allow them to cool (else you burn your fingers) - and then fill them with jam. Put lids on properly and they pop as they cool.

seql?

Fill?

Making jam?

I wash, rinse, drain and then dry in the oven.

I take them out and allow them to cool (else you burn your fingers) - and then fill them with jam. Put lids on properly and they pop as they cool.

Seal sorry typo pour when still hot and seal them properly then?

Make the jam and when bubbling away rinse jars, put upside down on a tray in a cool oven (hard water area, water drains out). Leave jam to settle for five to ten minutes to evenly distribute the fruit and then bottle. Seal immediately using pop-caps. Any that don't seal properly should be eaten first.

Tastes great but a bit of a runny jam even though it was hard boiled above 105 for a while with lemon juice thanks for the tips all they have sealed and sunk the lid caps properly

Tastes great but a bit of a runny jam even though it was hard boiled above 105 for a while with lemon juice thanks for the tips all they have sealed and sunk the lid caps properly

Strawberry?
Soft set gets called continental set here.
Pectin added to the sugar makes it set better.

There's more to a good set than just boiling and pectin ... the original sugar quantity has a strong bearing on the set. You need an accurat thermometer and a deep enough flat bottomed pan to ensure you get a good reading from it - what may be 105 degrees in the middle at the bottom may not be 105 degrees nearer the edge of the pan or the surface of the jam.

The quantity you are making has a bearing as well ..too much or too little in the pan affects the temperature and the set.

The pith of the lemons is where most of the Pectin is ... not the juice so I tend to juice the lemons and then chop up the rind and pith and put it in a small muslin bag in the pan when I boil the fruit initially, squeeze out all the gooey pectin from the bag into the pan after it has been boiled up. I find boiling the fruit and getting that part ready first - and then adding the warmed sugar gives the best results.

The only real way to tell that your jam is ready to set is with the cold plate test ... if the jam wrinkles properly when you drag the spoon through a teaspoonful on a really cold plate then it will set ... if it doesn't then you need to consider whether more heat, more sugar or a longer boil is the answer.

Jam making is a black art ... fruit varies from year to year and even within the season ... anyone who tells you they get it right every time - doesn't make much jam ! If all else fails, tip it all back in the pan, add some more sugar and boil it up again - you can wash the jars out whilst you wait for it toi come to the boil.

PS: Try rhubarb and ginger ... that works well toegther.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back