Do you need to carry a epipen.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I carry one as insurance !
Epipens carry full instructions, their web site has an excellent video demmo!.
It also makes the symptoms of Anaphylaxia very clear so as to prevent unnecessary use!.
Remember , Anaphylaxis can strike the most seasoned beekeeper, without warning ! beekeepers usually work alone and often in isolated places, so it makes sense to cover ones' self!

John Wilkinson
How much are the pens, and do i need to see my gp to obtain one loo forward to hear from you

they are prescription only - so yes you need to see your GP.

As to cost - as a prescription only item, the cost is whatever you pay for your prescriptions.

A word of warning here. The epipens are date stamped with an expiry "best before" date. Make sure that your chemist does not offload old stock onto you.
I'm not sure if the efficacy of the chemical in the epipen (all together now??:cuss:) is as nonsensical as the "best before" date required on honey sales ?

Regards

FB

My mother has Epipens for wasp stings - she has only had to use it once - but in the state of panic, managed to get it upside-down and injected her thumb instead of her thigh!

Her wasp allergy is the reason my father has never kept bees and he is now SO jealous of me. :D

I simply had a blood test when I started keeping - if it had been positive I wouldn't have started...I was lucky...especially when I think how often I got stung when they superceded!!

Funny enough I did a 3hrs training course on the use of Epipen just yesterday, suffice to say it was 2hrs and 50mins on CPR and life saving and then 10mins on sticking the pen into the thigh.

The pen is just a small part of dealing with a serious reaction in someone, if ppl think getting one sorts all the risks then they are kidding themselves.

Strongly recommend anyone who is keen to learn the facts on this topic to attend a St John's training event (costs about £70 or less).

They are not 'carry one' just in case devices if you have no history of risk - crazy view, they can kill as well as save lives.

JD

Last edited:
There is a very good desensitisation programme at Harrogate General Hospital and a number of local beekeepers have been on it. If you are concerned it might well be worth enquiring whether there is one available near you.

Most of the beekeepers I know who have been on the course have had good results, but at least one has become sensitive again.

The doctor who runs it is a great fan of epipens and thinks they should be more widely available. I did ask my GP for an epipen because I do a number of demonstrations, but he was strongly of the opinion that they could do more harm than good. Sounds like the Medical Profession is split on whether they are a good idea or not!

I have been stung steadily over the years but so far with no signs of becoming sensitive - thank heavens.

Ok, honesty time.

I have been stung thousands of times.............each season.

Lets take that as base line.

This year i got stung on my brow and it swelled nastily. Very much so.

I consulted my GP. He referred me to Derby Royal Hospital. I was interviewed by a Professor.....~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!!!!!!!!!!

He pronounced me to be non allergic (from blood tests) and all is well.

So how does it feel............ Painful, local swelling is to be accepted, discomfort for 72 hours is normal, and if taking Piriton then some visual issues may be encountered.

Life threatening... probably not but it may feel like it...... So it becomes a judgement call.

PH

There is a very good desensitisation programme at Harrogate General Hospital and a number of local beekeepers have been on it. If you are concerned it might well be worth enquiring whether there is one available near you.

Most of the beekeepers I know who have been on the course have had good results, but at least one has become sensitive again.

The doctor who runs it is a great fan of epipens and thinks they should be more widely available. I did ask my GP for an epipen because I do a number of demonstrations, but he was strongly of the opinion that they could do more harm than good. Sounds like the Medical Profession is split on whether they are a good idea or not!

I have been stung steadily over the years but so far with no signs of becoming sensitive - thank heavens.

I am waiting to hear what is available near me at the moment.

I think on this ocasion as i squashed the bee between the edge of a super and my little finger, and only wearing surgical type gloves i had a good amount of venum pumped in, pryer to this i had not shown any ill effects to bee stings.

I hate the idea of wearing leather gaunlet type gloves but until i can find something better they will have to do.

Over the years i have worked with allsorts of animals, some just want to eat you,others carry some really nasty viruses and others just want to trample you, never did i think i would be floored by a bee.

Latest posts

Back