Do varroa mites fall off naturally?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing from UK or from BBK. I have learned nothing about varroa from UK.

then perhaps its about time you stopped telling us things that may not be relevant to the UK.

and it would also seem that if your hives die if you dont treat then your varroa problem is somewhat more serious that what we may have here, and any information we have is not going to sort out your problem.

They are your bees Pal!!! Not mine

Exactly.

My bees, in the UK.

Not yours in Finland,
and therefore quite probably the problems that you have and your methods of dealing with those problems are completely irrelavant to the UK and our bees.

Exactly.

My bees, in the UK.

I believe that you have not even bees. You show such stupidity.

You have everything irrelevat in UK. Only your personal experience means something. It means that you cannot learn what others have done.

I learn from Australians, from NZ, from USA and Canada, Germany, Sweden .....

It is not climate which hinders learning. It is brains, brains, brains....those things between ears.

Last edited:
You have everything irrelevat in UK. Only your personal experience means something. It means that you cannot learn what others have done.

My personal experience is that I (and others) didnt need to blast hives with chemicals as you say we must do.

Perhaps if you didnt treat yours they would die, but that is something I dont know,,

and in all probablity, you dont know either, because you treat them anyway.
You may have ?? years of experience and ??? hives but that doesnt make me wrong.
You carry on and read all you want but unless you are prepared to actually do something other than treat with OA, whether they need it not, all your reading is a waste of time.

I learn from Australians, from NZ, from USA and Canada, Germany, Sweden
Whatever it is you have learned hasnt stopped your hives being infested though.

Last edited:
My personal experience is that I (and others) didnt need to blast hives with chemicals as you say we must do.

Perhaps if you didnt treat yours they would die, but that is something I dont know,,

and in all probablity, you dont know either, because you treat them anyway.
You may have ?? years of experience and ??? hives but that doesnt make me wrong.
You carry on and read all you want but unless you are prepared to actually do something other than treat with OA, whether they need it not, all your reading is a waste of time.

Whatever it is you have learned hasnt stopped your hives being infested though.

blaa blaa blaa
vaari muorin saa
kaikuvi suloinen Suomeni maa

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ygdAiDxKfI[/ame]

Karaoke version

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiInxW7Snzs[/ame]

Last edited:
blaa blaa blaa

Will have to google that and see it there has been a paper written on it then I can quote a reference to it and tell you how clever I am and dont argue with me because its pointless.. I will be right. You know nothing. Dont ask questions because I am too good to give an answer.

There is a short paper in the latest issue of JAR which discusses where we are up to regarding breeding varroa resistant bees. There ARE varroa resistant bees out there, according to the paper.
http://www.ibra.org.uk/articles/Comments-on-Varroa-destructor-resistance

There are the Minnesota Hygenic bees (selected for breeding based on cleaning out a patch of brood killed using liquid nitrogen) and Varroa Sensitive Hygenic (VSH) bees (selected for breeding based on cleaning out larvae which have varroa).

It is going in the right direction. However, my concern is that even if I got hold of some VSH bees, once the queens mated with local drones it would not take long to get back to non-resistant stock.

We agree with Dietemann et al. (2012) that the effectiveness of IPM programmes (presumably including genetically resistant bees) for varroa control, depends on the dedication and proficiency of individual beekeepers. Our experience is that small-scale beekeepers are further ahead than large-scale beekeepers in acceptance of resistant bees. This is understandable, because commercial beekeepers are necessarily more averse to risks and the technology is new. However, the rate of adoption of agricultural technology tends to follow a logarithmic trend. Thus the adoption of resistant strains can be expected to accelerate, in part because of recent advances in basic IPM of varroa (e.g. improved sampling techniques for large-scale beekeeping; Lee et al., 2010) and in knowledge about the negative effects of acaricides on bees (e.g. Johnson et al., 2009).

Good evening all.
Im sorry for interupting this thead but did anyone see tonights countryfile. The bumble bee shown looks like its trying to groom its self with 2 of its legs and as it takes off there seems to be a shinny disc shape on its back.

As a new beekeeper asking does the VDM efect wild bees.

Unfortunately that doesnt help some people as it seems that these resistant bees dont produce as much honey as those that have been treated for varroa.

Good evening all.
Im sorry for interupting this thead but did anyone see tonights countryfile. The bumble bee shown looks like its trying to groom its self with 2 of its legs and as it takes off there seems to be a shinny disc shape on its back.

Varroa Destructor mites effect Apis Cerana & Apis Melifera, not bumbles. If by "wild bees" you mean "ferral" honey bees then yes, they would be a host to varroa mite.

There are lots of other mites than live on/with bees of all types, some beneficial some not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishmop
.. I will be right. You know nothing. .
medication!

I think you may have lost the plot.

Why you are quoting yourself.

Repetitive quote disorder?

Very good
Did you see the peice or not, if not please do not coment.

This did look like a VM on a bubble bee.

I am very intrested in the veiws of those who did see it and is there any other evidence that bumble bees could spreed VM.

Good evening all.

Bumbles and beetles have often mites which travel on their back.
Those mites eate rubbish in bummble hives

mitesonbterr.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back