Derbyshire thefts

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would hive thieves already done done a "look see" in the day light hours and come back no lights at night? Bet the bees go mad if they saw a bright light while being moved.

Wonder if the the police would say pulling someone over in full suit and vail!!

A member of Portsmouth BKA has had two national hives stolen very recently.

Letter sent to local Chairman:
"The bees that we had on the far side of the Estate died out over winter, but I left a couple of bait hives on the site in case there were wild bees about. I went up today to find the hives were missing. As I recall, I had a set of legs (the other hive was on a milk crate which was still there), 2 mesh floors, 2 brood boxes (national), 2 or 3 supers and 2 queen excluders, crown boards and roofs. I don’t suppose that they have been picked up as abandoned by anyone in the society? Otherwise, I suppose that they have been pinched, which seems something of an occupational hazard these days, and all I can hope is that they end up in the hands of beekeepers rather than as firewood. I doubt that there is anything to be done apart from warning other members to mark their kit". Members are asked to be vigilant and suspicious of hives/colonies offered for sale.

There were quite a few thefts of hives / bees in the Derbyshire area early in the season .. there was an article in BeeCraft a couple of months ago. Again .. looked to have been a beek :cuss:

I have been given advice by two people recently one suggesting I should strap my hives up for winter to keep them together roofs on in windy conditions the other suggesting I'm just gift wrapping a nice little parcel for hive thieves. What does every one else do/suggest

I have been given advice by two people recently one suggesting I should strap my hives up for winter to keep them together roofs on in windy conditions the other suggesting I'm just gift wrapping a nice little parcel for hive thieves. What does every one else do/suggest

Make a judgement on how exposed they are to the winds, but I would think any hive thieves would have a strap as part of their kit anyway.

Didn't think of that had a picture in my head of bungling robbers not really knowing what they were doing rather than the reality that they are probably experienced beeks

Latest posts

Back