Deep Orange pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dark orange pollen

our bees are bringing in lots of dark orange pollen at the mo, there is a huge clump of a plant called Ligularia right opposite the hive and have watched the bees flying to and from this plant so know for definate the pollen is coming from that.

Phacelia pollen is a deep purply navy and the flower is a vivid blue.
It's an easy to grow self seeding annual. Looks ok as a growing plant, looks lovely in flower for about 3 weeks and then dies off and looks naff. I'm about tp pull up my dead plants to let the self sown seedlings hopefully overwinter.
C

Last edited:
Mine are bringing in a bright orange pollen which I have deduced to be field scabious. It looks like a cadmium red or orange for any water colourers amongst the group.

Try checking the pollen grains then that will tell you what the yellow pollen is from.

Mo

Mine are bringing in a creamy yellow - which has stained one side of the hive landing strip - don't know if it'll show in the pic, but thought it worth a try...NOPE not really way yellow now...

I think that one in the middle is my pretty bee :D

Our phacellia has been flowering since July. and still is.
But then 14C max days don't enocurage anything to flower rapidlly.

Lots of bright orange pollen here - I assume it's lime ? as 1/2 mile away is a walk with about 100 lime trees...

ahh, we have a lime avenue in the park next to the allotments so that could be the answer.......lucky bees. 1 mile from the city centre of Manchester, they live on an large allotment, with a large park to the right, and a very large park to the left :D

lucky bees. 1 mile from the city centre of Manchester, they live on an large allotment, with a large park to the right, and a very large park to the left :D

Very large park = Old Trafford ?:biggrinjester:

Of course ;) ...not much forage there though. Their grass is only allowed to grow about 2mm lol, No beautiful flower beds there, oh no......they'd get trampled on match days. My lad is lucky enought to get to watch them about once a month when the season's on, I've only been once though. Pretty stark, concrete area, industrial estates and the like surrounding. There is the Man Ship Canal running through though, if I remember rightly so I'm pretty sure there would be something, but that's about 2 - 3 miles from me. I'm near Platt Fields Park, up from the curry mile in Rusholme :D Yum lol

Curry mile.. remember that... Loverrrly..

There are some lovely outside sort of cafes now, where you can sit and smoke those funny looking things if you really wanted to lol, soz, going a bit of topic....sorry admin....err, the orange pollen looks a bit like some of the spices used in asian cooking...rescued ;)

I have that that almost fluorescent orange pollen to and I think it is Scabious they have also it appears to have built up their stores in the BB to perhaps also due to the Scabious.

When my bees arrived last June, the first pollen they brought in was bright purple and green. Thoroughly confused me, I thought - in my innocence - they were severely diseased :biggrinjester:

When my bees arrived last June, the first pollen they brought in was bright purple and green. Thoroughly confused me, I thought - in my innocence - they were severely diseased :biggrinjester:

Awww, lol, I am pretty sure I would think the same thing. I was really suprised when I heard their were different colours from the yellowy orange. I would have thought they had mouldy legs lol :smilielol5:

4948024791_57f043f264.jpg
[/url]
Bee and pollen by daniakrigg, on Flickr[/IMG]

4948614022_d2d8dcb372.jpg
[/url]
Bee and pollen by daniakrigg, on Flickr[/IMG]

Lot of rock rose and nasturtium around here.
Strange that only one hive of three next to each other is bringing it in.

Latest posts

Back