Dedicated forum for bee keepers aiming for least intrusive approaches

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yes ... I remember this from years ago ... if you carry on to Part 2 you find that his TF journey has not been without setbacks, colony loss in the early years and the abandoment of colonies that did not show strong survival traits was costly. You should also consider the impact of local conditions - temperature, humidity, local forage ... they all add to the ability (or not) of colonies to survive ... and as he says - THRIVE - without treatment. It's not an easy journey.

They are still in business so they have been successful:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attra...iews-BeeWeaver_Honey_Farm-Navasota_Texas.html

Yes ... I remember this from years ago ... if you carry on to Part 2 you find that his TF journey has not been without setbacks, colony loss in the early years and the abandoment of colonies that did not show strong survival traits was costly. You should also consider the impact of local conditions - temperature, humidity, local forage ... they all add to the ability (or not) of colonies to survive ... and as he says - THRIVE - without treatment. It's not an easy journey.

They are still in business so they have been successful:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attra...iews-BeeWeaver_Honey_Farm-Navasota_Texas.html
There's a few interesting videos and a podcast or two lurking around the net -also a new (to me) interview which I've not listened to yet that I think might be the one mentioned by @Penninetrader but I'll wait to see if he's even referring to Weavers rather than posting a link.

There's a few interesting videos and a podcast or two lurking around the net -also a new (to me) interview which I've not listened to yet that I think might be the one mentioned by @Penninetrader but I'll wait to see if he's even referring to Weavers rather than posting a link.
That is very polite of you, I have been a little busy so first chance to follow up. I hope others find this chap of interest, he has put his time in. When he describes colonies so defensive you could not get within half a mile before they attacked, one shudders.

There are some really mean bees about and something like this is awful to contemplate being anywhere near you

That is exactly what I faced earlier this year when helping a young beekeeper with his difficult queenless colony, it was big and mean. Funny thing, they only went for my right hand and then managed to sting me through the suit and glove above the wrist. I am still traumatized.

I really hope there is nothing like this in the UK
Did you watch the whole video?
Yep, My veil was covered , they were tapping my right hand like a gattling gun and my glove was full of stings. it was not pleasant but I kept the lad calm and we re assembled the hive after the inspection. When we walked away we were followed for more than 300m, it was crazy

Dee Lusby must be as mad as her bees
She's definitely a fantasist. Her studies of small cell or natural comb theory around the world were completely made up, yet I still continue to read that this is the way to stop varroa.

Last edited:
Lusby also popularised Housel positioning, but again there is no evidence that this is a real thing.

Latest posts

Back