dead bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks JBM and Dani....i am seeing them as write offs....just lots of activity (more than there has been) which worried me about others transferring to their hives rather than worried about store depletion

i need to suit up to have a look as am just seeing from kitchen window!

thanks JBM and Dani....i am seeing them as write offs....just lots of activity (more than there has been) which worried me about others transferring to their hives rather than worried about store depletion

i need to suit up to have a look as am just seeing from kitchen window!
Yes it’s absolutely horrid. The incidence has really shot up. Let us know what you find.

and it feels like an inconsistency if they recover to allow them to stay in hive and on frames....it feels like i probably need to plan to migrate to new frames and sterilise hives even if they recover

and it feels like an inconsistency if they recover to allow them to stay in hive and on frames....it feels like i probably need to plan to migrate to new frames and sterilise hives even if they recover
Exactly the kind of thing Bailey devised the Baily comb change for, although in a proper Bailey comb change you would supply the bees with a full box of sterilised comb to move up to.
And NO! shook swarm is not the answer, especially not in this case

just checked garden hives
- 3 double broods all looked v strong - one had a small clump of dead bees outside, no obvious signs inside of disoriented bees on upper bars or falling off and no real numbers dead on floor
- two of the hives with open floors seemed v strong still and no new dead bees obviously...a small number dropped from mid hive whihc the floor would have caught
- the weakest floorless hive had more dead under hive and 2-3 seams inside...dont hold out much hope but lots of stores
- 2 nucs seem strong tho one had a small clump of dead at front but no real numbers on nuc floor

just checked garden hives
- 3 double broods all looked v strong - one had a small clump of dead bees outside, no obvious signs inside of disoriented bees on upper bars or falling off and no real numbers dead on floor
- two of the hives with open floors seemed v strong still and no new dead bees obviously...a small number dropped from mid hive whihc the floor would have caught
- the weakest floorless hive had more dead under hive and 2-3 seams inside...dont hold out much hope but lots of stores
- 2 nucs seem strong tho one had a small clump of dead at front but no real numbers on nuc floor
I'd hang on in there for a couple of weeks then try replacing the floors, by that time you've done all you can, leave them alone and let winter sort things out for you

hmmm...on of the double broods is showing signs now....is it possible to use same strategy on the double? bees from upper bb will obviously still fall to top bars of LBB

Are you saying now that you have four colonies affected? Maybe it’s not CBPV after all. Perhaps it’s time to simply put your bees to bed for the winter and leave them to it. I think that’s what I would do.

I have essentially put them away and was removing last feed when I noticed the mounds of dead bees

here are some photos from just now and the last one and video from the double brood I mentioned above

Attachments

• FEC3ACEB-F6E7-42C3-A96D-95601581FE52.jpeg
    FEC3ACEB-F6E7-42C3-A96D-95601581FE52.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 45
  • 63DAE808-12C3-442F-BCA5-5F924B8C4164.jpeg
    63DAE808-12C3-442F-BCA5-5F924B8C4164.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 42
  • BF071F6F-5B7B-4C93-8F98-3191AA0F11EA.jpeg
    BF071F6F-5B7B-4C93-8F98-3191AA0F11EA.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 39

Latest posts

Back