dead bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would it work to put the BB on top of two spare BBs directly on the ground and put an eke with entrance cut out directly under actual BB?

The ground would be 18" away but the entrance would be where they'd expect it and no separate access for wasps.
I don't know, the whole thing is at a 'try it and see' experimental stage by the sound of it, but what you are describing is making the 'inside' of the hive deeper but just with a higher entrance, so logically, no, it won't work as the bees will still want to chuck the dead outside of the hive. The whole point of raising the hive is so there is a large amount of 'outside' below the bottom bars.
We're in danger, once again, of making a simple last resort solution into a complicated faffery - it must be endemic in beekeeping 😁

In another CBPV thread on here - someone attempted to make a sort of "catch can" to collect the dropping bees, allow healthy bees to get back up and also reduce the chances of robbing from outside. I don't know how successful it was. Worth a search maybe.
Yes that was mine, about 18 inch drop surrounded by a heavy polythene bag funnel to keep wasps and pests out. It hugely reduced the mound by the door but the long term outcome will be in the Spring as my other 2 hives died in spring 2021 after similar signs at the end of 2020. So I still worry the colony may die in Spring but also have hope it may survive and the dead bees isolation will have helped.
This was my last post in the (long) thread by a number of people on the topic. A way to combat CBPV?

There will be "healthy" bees with no symptoms that are actually infected and infectious to others (bit like Covid). Only real long term answer is to requeen from nonsusceptible strain.

worried all the garden colonies are getting it.....i have 5 hives and 3 nucs in garden.....3 hives now raised with no floor (1 of whihc was a double story nuc)

1 of the other hives and the nuc both seem to have signs yet im hoping the hive is recovering as no new dead bees outside

worried all the garden colonies are getting it.....i have 5 hives and 3 nucs in garden.....3 hives now raised with no floor (1 of whihc was a double story nuc)

1 of the other hives and the nuc both seem to have signs yet im hoping the hive is recovering as no new dead bees outside
it's a weird virus - often you get hives lined up side by side, the middle one gets it and the ones right next to it have no signs at all of the virus, so just because you have it in a few, it doesn't always follow it will spread to the rest.

it's a weird virus - often you get hives lined up side by side, the middle one gets it and the ones right next to it have no signs at all of the virus, so just because you have it in a few, it doesn't always follow it will spread to the rest.
My hives are in a line. Only ever got it in one at a time.

Same here.

... or they all carry the virus but it does not cause problems in all colonies.
David Evans has some thoughts on viruses in the latest BBKA News (Nov 2021).

I have another case too. That’s the third. I’m going to have to examine the sort of bees I keep. Somethings happening with susceptibility.
Took the mesh out of a floor today so that the bees have the same entrance as before and put an empty 14x12 brood on top.
ADE799B8-F0DB-4ACA-A442-8677ACC49480.jpeg

making a simple last resort solution into a complicated faffery
2 hives died in spring 2021 after similar signs at the end of 2020

They may pull through, but unlikely to be worth the faff.

I had two outbreaks, both some years ago, and concluded that recovery depended on the seasonal timing of an outbreak: in spring a strong colony pulled through by autumn despite losing a bucket of bees during summer; an autumn outbreak recurred in spring, by which time the colonies were unable to thrive and were destroyed.

By all means try and get them through to spring, but CC has 9.5 colonies and as the easiest job in beekeeping is to make increase, best not prolong risk: if in doubt with diseased livestock, terminate.

After treating my bees in Sept, I found one of my colonies all but empty and assumed absconding rather then swarming but with lack of evidence could not attribute the event to anything, though CBPV had been in mind.
Now the overgrown area in front of the hive has died back and been cleared I found the what appears to be the whole colony decomposed in a pile akin to a swarm following the clipped queen. Of course I can't now be sure of what occurred but CBPV could be a factor now.

Yet before the event no evidence was noted of sickly/poorly bees or bee mortality within the hive/floor debris or be cleared out the front.

After treating my bees in Sept, I found one of my colonies all but empty and assumed absconding rather then swarming but with lack of evidence could not attribute the event to anything, though CBPV had been in mind.
Now the overgrown area in front of the hive has died back and been cleared I found the what appears to be the whole colony decomposed in a pile akin to a swarm following the clipped queen. Of course I can't now be sure of what occurred but CBPV could be a factor now.

Yet before the event no evidence was noted of sickly/poorly bees or bee mortality within the hive/floor debris or be cleared out the front.
I think you’re spot on. It’s one reason why I have weed suppressant under and in front of the stands.
Can I ask what bees?

Ones that fly and collect nectar etc, etc.

Tbh honest certainly now a hybrid, they were as swarm I collected in early spring 2019 and were very amber in colour, docile and calm. I can only assume they may have been Italian, since that original swarm I have raised 6 colonies and colours have got darker all but one Q has emerged amber.

It's just that there was talk of Danish lineage being more susceptible.
I've spoken to others and it seems even black bees get it so I'm on the wrong track.

My experience was 3 hives in a line and they got it in turn down the line, last one hanging on to see if they recover next spring or die...

hmmmm....well its been cooler and wet since i removed floors so hope fewer wasps...will go and have a look later....im hoping removing floors wont encourage robbing of these by the healthy 2 hives either side

interested in advice re decontamination afterwards....what lengths do i need to go to....i have another apiary 3 miles away with no signs and dont want to cross contaminate in spring by moving stuff

also....moving new colonies into the hives that have had CBPV....is it a full blow torch job and no re use of frames and comb?

hmmmm....well its been cooler and wet since i removed floors so hope fewer wasps...will go and have a look later....im hoping removing floors wont encourage robbing of these by the healthy 2 hives either side

interested in advice re decontamination afterwards....what lengths do i need to go to....i have another apiary 3 miles away with no signs and dont want to cross contaminate in spring by moving stuff

also....moving new colonies into the hives that have had CBPV....is it a full blow torch job and no re use of frames and comb?
I’d throw the frames and sterilise the hive

Latest posts

Back