dead bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definition of oxymoron:
a combination of contradictory or incongruous words (such as cruel kindness)
broadly : something (such as a concept) that is made up of contradictory or incongruous elements

(Merriam Webster)

Just kidding, I know there can be exceptions to this like a comb change.

It just sounded weird.

ha, yes absolutely

i only have a few drawn frames so they will have foundation to work on.....blackthorn out and hawthorn coming out....so some flow

interesting...just watched a video whereby they add an entrance to the UBB and close the LBB to stop bees coming up through dirty comb below.....probably important to do that?

interesting...just watched a video whereby they add an entrance to the UBB and close the LBB to stop bees coming up through dirty comb below.....probably important to do that?
It's to stop them storing pollen in the lower box, once they're well established in the top box, there's no harm in putting an entrance between the two boxes

well...two of the three colonies didnt really make it....tiny cluster of bees and one had a mouse nest.....the third was strong with 7 BIA and a healthy looking queen....did a bailey and fed (6 drawn, 5 UD)

well...two of the three colonies didnt really make it....tiny cluster of bees and one had a mouse nest.....the third was strong with 7 BIA and a healthy looking queen....did a bailey and fed (6 drawn, 5 UD)
Ah I was going to ask how they were. I’m planning to start mine today or at least this week. I’ll start by requeening them. They are absolutely heaving with brood and it seems such a shame squashing the queen but needs must. Bad genes

Ah I was going to ask how they were. I’m planning to start mine today or at least this week. I’ll start by requeening them. They are absolutely heaving with brood and it seems such a shame squashing the queen but needs must. Bad genes

mine were fine but got cross infected from a colony which i introduced a frame of eggs into...that is where it all started

so, ive moved queen into new box above qe and old box and on new frames and comb....will let the queen settle and start to build up in upper box

mostly for Dani and a bit for JBM

so....have now sorted all but 1 aspect of this journey for this colony

Bailey completed and 7 frames all of foundation now drawn and laid up

bottom box removed before flying, closed up, area around hive stand burnt to take care of any corpses around the stand....frames from LBB burnt....bottom box will be blow torched before re-use....stand blow torched

UBB back on stand now as single brood box

the only thing i havent done is re-queen. i am planning to do that next week...hope leaving that step til now doesnt mean all the previous effort is for naught

mostly for Dani and a bit for JBM

so....have now sorted all but 1 aspect of this journey for this colony

Bailey completed and 7 frames all of foundation now drawn and laid up

bottom box removed before flying, closed up, area around hive stand burnt to take care of any corpses around the stand....frames from LBB burnt....bottom box will be blow torched before re-use....stand blow torched

UBB back on stand now as single brood box

the only thing i havent done is re-queen. i am planning to do that next week...hope leaving that step til now doesnt mean all the previous effort is for naught
It won't be but get a wiggle on.
You can always get a protem import and replace later

hmmm...another pile of dead bees outside this colony....shame...they've drawn 9 new combs since bailey and all full so looking strong enough....will give a few more days just to check as couldnt see any black bees etc yet....but dont feel optimistic.....concern is the others in apiary getting it

My hives are all close together in a line. At the moment there are nine and two nucs. I've had CBPV three times in ten years and only in one colony at a time. I'd tough it out. Possibly one advantage of re-queening asap even before you start the Bailey?

Latest posts

Back