Dead bees around hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itchy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lost count and can't keep up
All clinging to grass or landing board, all carrying pollen. We're these early risers getting caught out by the chill of the eclipse?

Bees have flown in low temperature and dropped in shadow. Without direct sunshine they were not able to rise again.

If the hives get all the time sunlight, bees will warm up by sun.

This is one reason why sunny site is good.

Big Landing board would help some.

Last edited:
Good tip Finman, these were all within 2ft of home.

I had two bees clinging together yesterday on the landing board, looked like the cold had got to then (it was about 5pm) and they were in the shade, so in my wisdoms I put them in the palm of my hand and covered with my other hand after a few minutes they both came back to life And flew back into the hive. So I suspect the cold has got to yours too.

I have been caught out a couple of times recently when I have picked up a 'dead' bee and brought it into the house to have a close look with my new magnifying glass. After about 5 minutes both came back to live and started dive-bombing me and I had to catch them and take them home. They had both looked completely dead.

Happened to me yesterday. Sad that they collect all that pollen but can't deliver. Tricky time of year with the flux from warm to cold days.

You could have scooped them all up in a jar & warmed them if there were lots, then released them in front of the hive. Its funny how you think theyre dead but they slowly revive.

You could have scooped them all up in a jar & warmed them if there were lots, then released them in front of the hive. Its funny how you think theyre dead but they slowly revive.

Let them be there. You are saving 10 bees and hundreds have died on their cold trips.

Let them be there. You are saving 10 bees and hundreds have died on their cold trips.

I agree, we have all done it, but it is really just a sentimental waste of time, most of them are old bees on their last legs anyway, as the colony reaches the cross over point.

Sorry, i took it to mean there was a lot as in hundreds, he never mentioned 10 so i thought they might be worth saving especially if maybe they only have one hive, every little helps this time of year.

Sorry, i took it to mean there was a lot as in hundreds, he never mentioned 10 so i thought they might be worth saving especially if maybe they only have one hive, every little helps this time of year.

I did not mean your mentionings. Ihave noticed the same phenomenom many times and I have saved bees between my palms. Another case is rescue bees from water. Bees die naturally thousands in one day and then I save one from pool.

I have seen in many springs that hives lost half of their bees when they fly in low temperatures. Pollen and sun invite bees to forage and then cloud goes in front of the sun, and bees drop down. If they drop in shadow, they will not rise again. Small rain shower may do the rest.

So, I am not proud if bees forage in low temperatures.

Last edited:
Jonnybeegood, they were focussed around the entrance area, but also some fallen further afield. I looked through the clear crownboard and the hive was heaving, so not so worried.

Sun is nice and warm in 'sheltered' spots near us, but the wind is bitterly cold still, as it's from the East near us. Anything to do with it do you think?:)

I think they were just unlucky getting caught up in the chill from the eclipse

Back