Queen Playing Dead

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I'd heard about this, but not seen it. However...
Today I found the queen in a swarm I'd taken a couple of weeks back. I caught her as gently as I could between two fingers and marked her. Then I put her back on the frame and she just lay on her back, dead. I was horrified.

I watched for a while (three or four minutes) as the bees fussed around her but she was quite immobile. So I gently placed her on top of one of the frames and closed up the hive.

I went back in after I'd finished with the other hives and there she was, running about happily - and now easy to spot. Sneaky little critter...

It happened to one of my Qs yesterday. I had searched for and found a mated Q in a nuc. She was very fast on the frame and I trapped in Q marking cage with some workers. When the workers emerged from the cage the Q had curled up seemingly “as dead as a door nail”. Five minutes later I noticed her moving slightly and she slowly recovered. When I opened the cage and laid it over the hive frames to return her, she slowed down again and it was several minutes more before she moved down between the frames.

Latest posts

Back