Dadant or Thorne Empire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I alone in lighting a piece of Thornes shredded cardboard filler with a blowtorch?

2 or 3 tightly compressed balls of the same shredded cardboard on top burn for hours.

Often I top this off with the dried autumn cuttings from lavender. I have a romantic notion that the bees prefer it - and of course that is nonsense, but the smoke does smell nice for a while. However I have wondered whether topping the smoker fuel with thyme might have a beneficial effect.

One of those internet curiosities which probably isn't too relevant to this thread but is nevertheless quite interesting, a page from Wyatt Mangum's website discussing smokers with thermal imaging, he did actually use dadant smokers for the demonstrations.

https://www.tbhsbywam.com/hot-bee-smokers/

Just ordered a 10" Dadant from Modern Beekeeping. That was the easy bit. I've not yet come up with a replacement for the ammo box I've used for years for my 7" smokers. Somehow I don't think I'm going to find an equivalent: sturdy, airtight, and cheap.

Hoping to hear what others use.

Just ordered a 10" Dadant from Modern Beekeeping. That was the easy bit. I've not yet come up with a replacement for the ammo box I've used for years for my 7" smokers. Somehow I don't think I'm going to find an equivalent: sturdy, airtight, and cheap.

Slightly longer ammo boxes are out there, I had one for years but A.N.Other has driven off to Monmouthshire with it so I too am looking for one (at a tolerable price)!

I use an old metal file box.. not as sturdy as an ammo box but it’s kept the van flame free for the last decade or so.. 👍

Attachments

• IMG_0054.jpeg
    IMG_0054.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0053.jpeg
    IMG_0053.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

20mm ammo box cheap enough on ebay, takes the smoker and room for other bits and pieces, I would give you the spec. of the box but it's in the truck - which is at the menders!

20mm ammo box cheap enough on ebay, takes the smoker and room for other bits and pieces, I would give you the spec. of the box but it's in the truck - which is at the menders!
Thanks. I see there's a site with a range of ammo box sizes. I was puzzled about the size in mm to describe ammo boxes. I think I get it now. :ROFLMAO:

Mine is an old box some (now defunct) power tool came in.

Attachments

• IMG_3292.jpeg
    IMG_3292.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0

All ammo (and explosive) boxes have an identification code.
Usually starts with A, or H.
Eg. A480, H83 etc.
If anyone is using an ammo box, could be worth posting the box code, and what you can get in there.

Latest posts

Back