Dadant or Thorne Empire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gubby_uk

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi all,
I'm in need of a new smoker as my Amazon special is not the best :rolleyes: I've narrowed it down to a choice of the Dadant or the Thorne Empire. Any thoughts on which one and which size please? 7 or 10 inch? In the Thorne, galvy, stainless or copper? All thoughts greatly appreciated.
Thank you

10" Dadant without a doubt
as for the others
Galv is not going to last five minutes
Copper is just an affectation to keep the dinosaurs/gullible happy

Last edited:
Copper is just an affectation to keep the dinosaurs/gullible happy
I was recently given a very old, small, copper smoker. It is fast becoming my favourite. Due to its size it is light, and I am surprised at how long it burns for.
Content to be a happy dinosaur😁

I was recently given a very old, small, copper smoker. It is fast becoming my favourite. Due to its size it is light, and I am surprised at how long it burns for.
Content to be a happy dinosaur😁
I also have one that is lovely to handle when I only have a few hives to do. The only problem with this lovely little copper thing is it has no guard and keeps burning my knees! :laughing-smiley-014

Just get the big dadant if you have more than a couple of hives and forget the rest.
Better not to get any smoker.
puffing smoke into a colony panics the bees with threat of a forest fire. Handly calming.
you would not puff smoke into a dog’s face to calm it.
a fine water spray clears top bars beautifully.

Hi all,
I'm in need of a new smoker as my Amazon special is not the best :rolleyes: I've narrowed it down to a choice of the Dadant or the Thorne Empire. Any thoughts on which one and which size please? 7 or 10 inch? In the Thorne, galvy, stainless or copper? All thoughts greatly appreciated.
Thank you
I bought an El cheapo stainless steel smoker from the old Simon the Beekeeper site about 8 years ago. It's still going strong despite regular use. Decoke with a plumbers blowlamp whenever it tars up from burning wood shavings. From memory it was around ten pounds Sterling.

Decoke with a plumbers blowlamp whenever it tars up from burning wood shavings
Wish I knew this before I stank out my kitchen sink washing mine out. That one's up there with using one of my good saucepans for melting wax..

Better not to get any smoker.
puffing smoke into a colony panics the bees with threat of a forest fire. Handly calming.
you would not puff smoke into a dog’s face to calm it.
a fine water spray clears top bars beautifully.
Water spray works to a point. However I would not send any beginner out to look at bees without a smoker. Sensible use of smoke is far more effective and has proved so for hundreds of years.
If it’s not escaped your notice bees are not dogs!

Hi all,
Thank you
How many hives do you intend to have? Your profile says two, a ten inch Dadant will burn for hours.

always makes sense to go for the larger one - it will do the job if you only have a few colonies, but if you go for the smaller one just to save a tenner and then expand it would be a foolish decision

The trouble is, some people see smoke as a weapon not a tool.
But then again, the only tool they probably possess is a hammer and consider every problem a nail
I would never go into the bees without a smoker handy, although often, a light puff at the entrance is the only thing I'd give them.
The one time you don't have a smoker is the one and only time you desparately need it.

I no longer use smoke at the entrance at all. I realised that I didn't actually understand what it might achieve other than pushing bees up towards the top of the frames that I'm about to expose when I take off the roof and crownboard.

Wouldn't want to be without my smoker however, though once in a while it has gone out through lack of use if the bees are very calm.

James

Latest posts

Back