1st inspection after AS... what's going on??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nettle

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I split my good hive on 29 April using the artificial swarm method when you can't find the queen - so new hive in old position with 1 frame of eggs & young brood, and 1 of stores (+ syrup in feeder). I checked back in 7 days and knocked down all but 1 QC (they were all sealed, so I chose the best looking one). I marked the QC location with a pin. Two weeks ago I had a very quick check to see if they had stores, but didn't go through the hive properly as I didn't want to disturb a virgin queen or be in the way if she returned from a mating flight. I've been topping up the feeder in small amounts since then, as they hadn't drawn an awful lot of comb and didn't have much stored.

Today I did the first proper inspection. There's a great big fat QC that looks close to emerging (brown tip), but it's right where the old cell was that I left them with. The rest of this comb is packed with pollen both sides, and some nectar round the top. On the adjoining frame there were 7 supercedure-style cups on the face of the comb, one of which contained an egg. This frame contained eggs both sides, but no sealed brood. They looked to be queen eggs rather than laying workers - centred in the bottom of the cells, one per cell. The rest was stores. Their temperament wasn't the best (it was 20ish degrees, sunny & calm).

I don't get it? Did the QC not emerge, in which case who laid the eggs? I checked the comb for other QCs very thoroughly. I estimated it should have emerged around 13 May. If it was a dud wouldn't they have torn it down by now? It can't surely be a new one in such a short space of time?

I've left everything as I found it. I didn't want to go tearing down any supercedure cells if that's what they are. Up until this week the weather's been terrible - wet, windy and cold. So maybe she was poorly mated. Any advice appreciated.

I think you will find that if you open the queen cell you will find a worker in there head first! They do that, just for a laugh!
Sounds like your queen is mated and just getting going but the egg in the queen cup is insurance. If your queen carries on then the egg will disappear. Be patient

I would be more concerned with the other half of the split. Does it still have a queen? Was it about to swarm? What state is that in now?

I did the split after finding eggs in QCs (not larvae, and no sealed cells. I think now maybe I was a bit quick off the mark, but I didn't want to risk a swarm).

The other half looks good, queen laying well on brood & a half with BIAS (it was definitely Q+ after the split). Today I knocked down 1 QC with an egg in it, and will be watching it closely for any more swarm preps. I added a super above a queen excluder 3 weeks ago as I thought they could do with more space, but they haven't moved up into it yet. Today I removed the QX in case that was putting them off. I'm keeping an eye on their stores as they seem a little light on capped stores, with mostly open nectar round the edge of the brood nest. My first experience of the June gap I think, they're not putting much away.

I think you will find that if you open the queen cell you will find a worker in there head first! They do that, just for a laugh!
Sounds like your queen is mated and just getting going but the egg in the queen cup is insurance. If your queen carries on then the egg will disappear. Be patient

Bee humour! (Unless you're pulling my leg!) I hope you're right. I wish they'd build comb a little bit faster so she has more space to lay.

Ugh. Well I took down the old QC today, which was still there. Looked like a dead virgin queen. And now I have laying workers 😣

Latest posts

Back