Cut comb or foundation frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helmb1360

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
So ive made a boo boo,

I made up some frames with just a strip of foundation at the top and some usual frames and foundation, i put the into the super box alternately so they build them up nice but i didn't mark the cut combe frames. I've dome a few inspections now and I've juggled frames about to help build up frames quicker but now i don't know what is foundation and what is just strips with there comb built on. Is there an easy way telling them apart? Thanks

I have done that but now I write “comb” on the top of the frames. 😁
I look on the bottom of the frames to look for the wires between them. No wires - it’s comb 😊

That’s ok if you have used wired foundation but if you haven’t its going to be quite hard to tell .
I learned last year to write c c on the top bars because 2021/22 I had some un wired foundation in use.

As above or just get a good torch and shine over frames, on fresh comb the wires will stand out a mile.
Thanks a lot. On 1 hive i did mark the frames but for some reason i didn't do it with this box. It make sense now to look for the wires, thanks for your help

So ive made a boo boo,

I made up some frames with just a strip of foundation at the top and some usual frames and foundation, i put the into the super box alternately so they build them up nice but i didn't mark the cut combe frames. I've dome a few inspections now and I've juggled frames about to help build up frames quicker but now i don't know what is foundation and what is just strips with there comb built on. Is there an easy way telling them apart? Thanks
You did not say whether your foundation was wired or not. However I am fairly sure that if you inspect the gap between the bottom frame bars it should be revealing and the foundation should be visible - wired or not and the starter strip frames will look different. (I hope!)

Latest posts

Back