Cut Comb Box/Packaging

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Anyone got thoughts on the best cut comb packaging? Th*rnes was pretty poor I have to be honest and wondered who else did the trays/lids (that fit each other!)

Cheers

JD

I use Thornes and don't see any problem. Purple box looks very good contrasted against the cappings.

Did you use extra thin foundation if you're doing cut comb?

yeh, the comb is not the issue, its the plastic containers that dont fit the lids - square peg and round hole issue

I use bog standard white CC boxes with the clear lids and no issues with fit, are you cutting it neatly enough?

PH

Jezd, I have contacted Thornes and they explained what happened and they will kindly replace my cartons.

So, good customer services are indeed still alive and well.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Jezd, I have contacted Th**nes and they explained what happened and they will kindly replace my cartons.

So, good customer services are indeed still alive and well.

Thanks for the heads-up.

thanks, I must admit I assumed it was just how they are - will drop them an email

cheers

I've just had 250 delivered as a trial from Th@rnes and you had me worried so have just checked them and they seem fine.

PS; have 6 hives with 2 supers of foundation on each, one cut comb the other wired, the cut comb is nearest the brood box. Now please tell me why on 3 of the 6 have they bypassed the cut comb super and started to draw the upper wired foundation!! Both are on similar placings both nice fresh new foundation, there is a good flow on (Borage) naughty bees!! never do what you want them to! haha

I probably shouldn't have given them a choice and just stuck all cut comb foundation in but it's very strange why they have done that, i would have expected them to bypass for drawn comb but not other foundation.

C B

I've just had 250 delivered as a trial from Th@rnes and you had me worried so have just checked them and they seem fine.

PS; have 6 hives with 2 supers of foundation on each, one cut comb the other wired, the cut comb is nearest the brood box. Now please tell me why on 3 of the 6 have they bypassed the cut comb super and started to draw the upper wired foundation!! Both are on similar placings both nice fresh new foundation, there is a good flow on (Borage) naughty bees!! never do what you want them to! haha

I probably shouldn't have given them a choice and just stuck all cut comb foundation in but it's very strange why they have done that, i would have expected them to bypass for drawn comb but not other foundation.

C B
Because they like to start at the top and draw down.

C B

I have started adding cut comb supers under a wired super that bees are already working on, works for me but they can do odd things.

I tend to put just one super on with thin foundation for a couple of days during a flow,then add a second super underneath,they will continue to work and fill the top super,less travel stain on the comb cappings,and less chance of an arc being left in the middle combs if right above the brood area,plus less chance of pollen in the combs.

I've just being trying to buy some containers - phoned Thornes and was informed they have removed them from sale as they've had too many problems - ill-fitting lids and small pin-holes. Which confirms what others have said in this thread.

I then phoned a few other places - to try to buy some and checked that they didn't come from Thornes - however these suppliers got their stock from Thornes. So beware there are some dodgy containers out there. Not sure where I'll be able to get any now.

I've just being trying to buy some containers - phoned Th**nes and was informed they have removed them from sale as they've had too many problems - ill-fitting lids and small pin-holes. Which confirms what others have said in this thread.

I then phoned a few other places - to try to buy some and checked that they didn't come from Th**nes - however these suppliers got their stock from Th**nes. So beware there are some dodgy containers out there. Not sure where I'll be able to get any now.
Got a batch from Wynne Jones the other week .His supplier I know not .
They are good quality and day after telephone order they were delivered .
I had some in stock from Th**es and they literally fell to pieces :eek:.
It's obvious that being super thin injection vacuum moulded they're life span is quite short !
VM

If you want cut comb you have to crowd the bees at times and giving two supers of foundation is really pushing the envelope rather a lot.

PH

yeh, the comb is not the issue, its the plastic containers that dont fit the lids - square peg and round hole issue

:iagree:

Not great fit on many of them. Probably ok if in card box outer.

Why not mix the frames, mark the unwired and do each and every other one. I bought some fondantion at a bee auction and found half was unwired which the bees have drawn and filled, wasn't sure what to do with it this years so spun it out, and it didn't fall apart. Will do some cut comb next year as people have been asking for it, don't know why!
steven

Why not mix the frames, mark the unwired and do each and every other one. I bought some fondantion at a bee auction and found half was unwired which the bees have drawn and filled, wasn't sure what to do with it this years so spun it out, and it didn't fall apart. Will do some cut comb next year as people have been asking for it, don't know why!
steven
Tried it for the first time this year :)
I did just that but with narrow spacing , beautifully drawn and capped frames ,each marked with a drawing pin . Problem being ,the resultant cut comb wasn't the recommended 227 grams/ 1/2 pound. I have since been informed that wide spacing results in pieces nearer the required weight, however I can't help feeling that this could result in the production of natural comb ?
VM

Does it have to be 227g? is there legislation? a beekeeper I know weighs his individually and prices accordingly

Hi Victor
I also got a the bee auction a load of hoffman frames, the bees draw out deeper comb than the normal ones, but they do glue the frames together!!!
Steven

Back