Cut Comb Box/Packaging

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried it for the first time this year :)
I did just that but with narrow spacing , beautifully drawn and capped frames ,each marked with a drawing pin . Problem being ,the resultant cut comb wasn't the recommended 227 grams/ 1/2 pound. I have since been informed that wide spacing results in pieces nearer the required weight, however I can't help feeling that this could result in the production of natural comb ?
VM

Use long spacers, but staggered, gives narrow spacing. When they have pretty much drawn it, take a couple of frames out and push the spacers into line, gives wide spacing, but they wilol draw further rather than build between.

Use long spacers, but staggered, gives narrow spacing. When they have pretty much drawn it, take a couple of frames out and push the spacers into line, gives wide spacing, but they wilol draw further rather than build between.
I do that for normal frames when starting from foundation and build up to all wide spacers, ie 9 frames per super!.
I build up year on year , not during one season, however I can see the logic in in your argument and will try this next year :)
VM

Ten spacing is perfect for producing the right size combs needed for cut comb, and to fit the containers supplied by the main suppliers,can also be used straight from foundation,wide or eight spacing produces combs that are way to thick.

Does it have to be 227g? is there legislation? a beekeeper I know weighs his individually and prices accordingly
No but the commercially produced labels to match the commercially produced containers state " Above 227grams".
should they prove to be short weight , then the addition of a little runny honey to offset the difference is standard practice :)
VM

Hold the containers (white bit) up to the light before you fill them. Cheapo ones can have pin-prick holes in the corners due to the thinness of the plastic - these will weep honey onto the card box/sleeve around it.

The Bee Farmers got so fed up with them they paid for a new mould to be made and have their own ones where - joy of joys - the lids fit the containers :) Got to be a member to buy them though.

should they prove to be short weight , then the addition of a little runny honey to offset the difference is standard practice :)

... yes, but please do all remember that a small bit of comb swimming in honey is called "chunk honey" :D

Latest posts

Back