Custormer Service

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had my delivery from thornz. Now to get it hidden away before swmbo gets home

Tell her you're keeping it safe for me because I'm away.
I'll be telling mine I'm keeping a package for you in case she sees the boxes in mother's greenhouse :D

All safely put away and boxes disposed of before she came home lol

Looks like the bee suit i ordered in the sale has been sent somewhere else before it was dispatched to me , still trying to get to the bottom of it , apparently it was the last one .
lets hope i get somewhere with Customer Services .

All safely put away and boxes disposed of before she came home lol

Hmm sounds like my line - frames in the attic flat packs in the chamber of secrets (AKA shed no2) boxes out the back into the brazier and burnt.
I think I'll have to lock the shed in future. In retaliation for my dislike of the cheaply made shoddy chicken coop she bought off fleabay and my concerns about the less than watertight roof, she acquired some roofing felt and nails to repair it last weekend - I just hope she doesn't realise where my hammer is - in the shed, next to nine newly made up supers resting on top of a larger pile of flat packed supers and brood boxes!!! :willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

Last edited:
I think I'll have to lock the shed in future. In retaliation for my dislike of the cheaply made shoddy chicken coop she bought off fleabay and my concerns about the less than watertight roof, she acquired some roofing felt and nails to repair it last weekend - I just hope she doesn't realise where my hammer is - in the shed, next to nine newly made up supers resting on top of a larger pile of flat packed supers and brood boxes!!! :willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

Share the love JB
Repair it for her :D

I did tell her I'd do it as she doesn't really have the expertise and it's not as easy as it looks - I also told her we've got a rat in the shed again :D
Still think she spent a fortune on a piece of useless cheap imported mass produced Chinese sh*t that's going to either rot or fall to pieces in no time.

Hmm sounds like my line - frames in the attic flat packs in the chamber of secrets (AKA shed no2) boxes out the back into the brazier and burnt.

should have got one of these JBM made to order. http://www.markfrancis.co.uk/poultryHousing/

Would have built her one myself if she'd asked before
A buying a hen house
B deciding on ex battery hens and ordering some
C assuming we could just leave them wandering all over the place.

Worse thing for her is I potter around a lot by the chickens and they now come running to the six foot high fence (of the 10x15 foot ish run I've built!) and when I'm cleaning out (yes, me, not she) one of them will fly up and sit on my back when I bend down whilst the other two are pecking at my trousers.
Now that I'm away the boldest now flies up and perches above the gate and thus down to the lawn.
SWMBO wouldn't wait for me to come home so wing clipping has taken place with instructions over the phone!!

Would have built her one myself if she'd asked before
A buying a hen house
B deciding on ex battery hens and ordering some
C assuming we could just leave them wandering all over the place.

Worse thing for her is I potter around a lot by the chickens and they now come running to the six foot high fence (of the 10x15 foot ish run I've built!) and when I'm cleaning out (yes, me, not she) one of them will fly up and sit on my back when I bend down whilst the other two are pecking at my trousers.
Now that I'm away the boldest now flies up and perches above the gate and thus down to the lawn.
SWMBO wouldn't wait for me to come home so wing clipping has taken place with instructions over the phone!!

Don't yield to hatching any eggs - you end up with too many cockerils.

Don't yield to hatching any eggs - you end up with too many cockerils.

Don't be silly ;) it's great fun and even funnier if you get pure breed eggs from fleabay. Of my six French Copper Marans 5 were cockerels. We ate them :) Jolly nice. At least I have one hen now that lays chocolate brown eggs.

Still think she spent a fortune on a piece of useless cheap imported mass produced Chinese sh*t that's going to either rot or fall to pieces in no time.

She needs one of these :)
Don't laugh. A tree fell on this and it din't flinch. Resale value good too :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-CHICK...es_Poultry&hash=item589d23b9e7#ht_3089wt_1399

This was identical to the cheap chinese one that I bought ... nearly four years ago now. The hinges were rubbish, the bolts were rubbish, the screws to hold it together were rubbish, the hasp and staple on the nesting box was rubbish, the one coat of stain on the timber sections was rubbish and it needed to come up off the ground. But ... at £69 when I bought it - it was cheaper than buying the timber to make it myself and saved me a lot of time. I replaced all the hardware, put three good coats of exterior stain on the timber and I have to say that it's still holding up, wind and rain proof and it hasn't even warped - nobody more surprised than me. It will need another coat of stain (for the first time) this summer but it looks like it will go on a few years yet.

We got ex battery hens originally - were very attached to them and they were full of personality. Sadly, the last one died late last year, so they did well but the egg laying tailed off quite a lot as they got older and the egg quality (shells sometimes thin and bits of blood etc.in them) deteriorated, it's common with ex-batts - stands to reason really, they have a hard life before you get them !

Out of the 6 original hens only three survived beyond 18 months with us. We now have Sussex whites ... bought as point of lay ... whilst we loved the ex-batts and felt really good about rescuing them from the dog food factory I think I would always go for POL in the future.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back