Crown board hole

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelsoo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi guys, do you all generally leave the crown board hole open on a hive or do you shut it with a block of wood or put the porter escape on it permanently?

What are the pros and cons of leaving it open or closed? And is there a general answer of closing or leaving it open? I was thinking if left open they will build wild comb space in the roof.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Joel

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Closed.
Open only with a feeder on top
Add insulation. If the top is warmer than the sides you get no condensation on the bees.
Bees don’t need top ventilation. They manage perfectly well on their own.

Great thanks!! I made my roofs without any ventilation at the top and inside the roof I put a piece of 25mm celotex insulation. [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Mine are closed. A tile on top. Also I have open mesh floors so enough ventilation.

Also have celotex on top in all but the hottest period.

Closed wood floors may be a different theory?

Also have celotex on top in all but the hottest period.

Insulation on hives is like a puppy, it's not just for Christmas. Keep it on all year and especially during the hot spells.

Closed.
Open only with a feeder on top
Add insulation. If the top is warmer than the sides you get no condensation on the bees.
Bees don’t need top ventilation. They manage perfectly well on their own.
:iagree: not one plausible reason for leaving a gaping hole in the crownboard

Closed wood floors may be a different theory?

No, I have run both and both with insulation and neither crownboard nor vented roofs

Insulation on hives is like a puppy, it's not just for Christmas. Keep it on all year and especially during the hot spells.

I just find when it is very hot the propolis goes really gluey on top. But yes most by a log shot of time it is on. Just when over 30 or so

Closed. Insulation on top of crown board. I do not know of anyone who still uses Porter bee escapes.

Closed. Insulation on top of crown board. I do not know of anyone who still uses Porter bee escapes.

oh i use it when i wanna clear a super, put the crown board above the QE, with porter bee escape, then lets the bees clear away into brood box, few days later go collect the supers for extraction which will be free of bees.

Well, what can I say. I leave my crown board holes open. Close them up and the space between crown board and lid becomes an ant gallery. Ants of all kinds. Leave them open and never an ant will be seen

oh i use it when i wanna clear a super, put the crown board above the QE, with porter bee escape, then lets the bees clear away into brood box, few days later go collect the supers for extraction which will be free of bees.

Rhombus escapes work infinitely better clearing supers overnight

Well, what can I say. I leave my crown board holes open. Close them up and the space between crown board and lid becomes an ant gallery. Ants of all kinds. Leave them open and never an ant will be seen

Not in winter though ?
Thank heavens we don’t get so much of an ant problem here.
Earwigs. We get earwigs.

I was shown an interesting crownboard set up earlier this year.
The crown board had the hole left open over winter, with a second solid crown board above it. The beekeeper would pour thick syrup in a circle around the hole on top of the first board and then replace the second board.
He said the bees fed on syrup through winter and it worked for him.

Courty

Not in winter though ?
Thank heavens we don’t get so much of an ant problem here.
Earwigs. We get earwigs.

oh i get earwig problem too, is it necessary to get rid of them? or just let them be?

with regards to rhombus escapes, i'd research on that abit too, i saw them before, and don't know whats the exact use of it! still new!

oh i get earwig problem too, is it necessary to get rid of them? or just let them be?
Let them be, they happily coexist with the bees.
Same with ants really - I have a few ant colonies who take advantage of the heat above the crownboards to set up nursery areas to finish off their eggs and pupae.

with regards to rhombus escapes, i'd research on that abit too, i saw them before, and don't know whats the exact use of it! still new!

Dump the porter bee escapes ... they are an abomination. The Rhombus works much quicker, never jams up and (in my case anyway) nearly always removes every last bee from the super. Put on in the evening .. clear by morning.

Attachments

• Clearer 1.JPG
    Clearer 1.JPG
    537.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Clearer Poly 1.JPG
    Clearer Poly 1.JPG
    641.8 KB · Views: 31

Latest posts

Back