Covid Lockdown No3

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hachi

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Damn! A lot more than I ever thought I'd have
Once again the BBKA seem to be moving very slowly. Is there any guidance for beekeepers being allowed to tend their hives during this lockdown? It is arguably, a very important time in the beekeeping season and yet nothing.

In principle I dont disagree AM but the latest doc I have is dated April 2020 from DEFRA and reading between the lines, the cops are going to be far less tolerant.

Do we really need more guidance to go out and tend live stock.!!!!!

No but, with reports the police have been told to reach for the summons ticket pads a lot more than in either LD 1&2 I just cant be bothered to argue with a copper with attitude, a bee is livestock. Anecdotally, if one of our own is asking what we do with bee's in the winter it just goes to demonstrate my point.

Having a piece of paper they can read saves a lot of explaining and will see me on my way quicker.

Even better, WEAR the beesuit, and have an empty hive in the passenger seat. If stopped, warn the officers that the bees may emerge at any point. You should get waved through no problem.
Make sure the hive is * wearing* a seat belt, or you'll have several thousand fines to pay.

No but, with reports the police have been told to reach for the summons ticket pads a lot more than in either LD 1&2 I just cant be bothered to argue with a copper with attitude, a bee is livestock. Anecdotally, if one of our own is asking what we do with bee's in the winter it just goes to demonstrate my point.

Having a piece of paper they can read saves a lot of explaining and will see me on my way quicker.
A bit of paper from the bbka would only be worth having for if you get caught short, it carry’s no weight if your that paranoid print off the gov guide. As for plod with attitude I’ve always find the attitude changes as with all people in how you interact with them. I don’t think I’ve ever known any that want to be out on face mask patrol dealing with those showing not an ounce of common sense. As for our own asking what you are doing with bees at this time of the year, well they probably are new or perhaps the type that phone up mid April asking for Nucs, saying I’ve just been to check my bees and there dead. Hives need checking weights need monitoring, wood needs bleaching or it was windy last night. If you really can’t think of a reason/excuse to be out then perhaps you/they should not.

Last edited:
If you're on a walk, take the bee suit and maybe a hive on a trolley - and fill up the truck so you're 'moving kit to the bees'....

I am hearing and reading some very jobs worth police fines being handed out

why oh why aren't they fining the celebrities who populate the sidebar of shame on the Daily Mail website who are holidaying all over the world and those blasted footballers who think the rules don't apply to them ?

£10k fines ? I'd increase them by a factor of 10 per person for them and make sure the money goes straight to the NHS

Vote for me.

I've never ventured anywhere since this started without my BFA papers and DEFRA letter in the glove compartment, bee jacket on rear seat, with my warrant card tucked away somewhere as well just in case - my Deputy Director also gave me a 'Key Worker' travel permit' last week.
Do you think I'll be OK? 😁

Latest posts

Back