Could someone help? Looking for a video

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
24 + a few nucs....this has to stop!
Morning all, between a couple of threads on here and faces of some customers when I tell them its £5.50 for a 12oz jar, I have decided to put a short educating story on my Facebook page about honey from supermarket and bee welfare from some large scale commercial beekeeping.
I saw a powerful short video last year on the net of a US commercial beekeeper having complete disregard for his bees, taking hives apart in front of a production line with swarms of bees hanging everywhere as their hives were taken apart. Anyone seen this and could send me a link please?

Good video, and quite disturbing, although almost any film showing how the bee farmers in the US handle their colonies is also disturbing as they chuck boxes about as speed is of the essence for them!

I literally don't see this Jeff.

Saying to people oh please look at my FB page is not in my thoughts going to achieve anything.

Surely better and far more immediate to talk to them? And do remember that not all imported honey tastes crap. There are people out there and a fair few of them that prefer bland to high power no matter how "good it is". If that were not so then Dewars, Bells et all would long ago have gone bust.

I buy a jar now and again of Gales as I really like the clover taste. A lot of it I believe comes out of Canada. And no this is not heresy people its personal taste and we cannot make people prefer what we produce esp when the price difference is so massive. It's marketing reality.

PH

PH, views and taste differ and I certainly don't intend to generalise on supermarket honey and bee farmers. I also don't want to bore people that buy my honey and if they do and come back I think my job is done. Some of my posts on Facebook reach 5-600 people... A lot quicker than talking to them directly.

The story, that gets told over and over, in which commercial bee farmers (especially foreigners) treat bees terribly, does not necessarily do any of us any good. People just love to find the worst in everything. There are many decent commercial bee farmers, many of them not in the UK. I suppose the video of a bee farmer being kind to his bees wouldn't go viral would it?

Don't get me wrong - the pollination of almonds in Northern California is a grim business IMO. I know many rely on the money but surely it's a bubble waiting to pop.

Not sure most folk can empathize with an insect being treated badly. Another mammal, yes.

It might be more effective to suggest that commercial honey is adulterated with sugar syrup or something similar but you'd need to back this up. Are there any published test results showing this?

You are probably more likely to encourage them to go vegan than to buy locally with that approach. Would be better giving a simple explanation on the difference between raw local honey vs commercially mixed, pasteurised etc honey.

The machinery is one of a kind, for a fast increase in hives. For a better understanding of the man, the book is a good read. The clip came as an extra with the film 'More Than Honey'.

I've just watched the documentary, an interesting viewing. God it's depressing to be a human some days.

jeff33 careful you don't get tarred with the same brush, there are some willing to jump on the band wagon and ask if that is how you treat your bees, just to shoot someone down.

faces of some customers when I tell them its £5.50 for a 12oz jar

That may be the initial reaction, Jeff, but what percentage of the some went on to taste and buy?

You're at that awkward meeting point where your contemporary price bumps into (and spills the pint) of the outdated perception that honey ought to be cheap. Stick with your price; you may sell slower, but customers will learn from you and appreciate what you offer, and the ripples caused by the £5.50 stone you chucked in the pond will - maybe by the time we all pop off - help re-set that public perception. If you can persuade other local beekeepers to head in the same direction you'll be doing a good job of raising the value of rural honey, which I reckon is the long-term job for all of us.

I agree with PH and Maz: knocking the competition will not support your sales, and sometimes the competition is good. Stick to chatting to customers, emphasise the direct link between you and the contents of the jar (do you wear your beesuit when selling?), roll out a few basic positives about local produce, Brexit, air miles, future of the planet, diatomaceous earth, slow food, and oh-what-a-lovely-dog and all that.

Don't fret over the some whose dreams you disturb; they have a Pavlovian instinct to seek cheap and ignore quality, and you can't persuade everyone.

Stick to chatting to customers, emphasise the direct link between you and the contents of the jar (do you wear your beesuit when selling?), roll out a few basic positives about local produce,

Now there's a thought Jeff.......a nice pink suit may draw a few customers in :)

Ha quite right Eric. I am new to the business in my area and need to make a name for myself with local folks for selling a quality product. Work colleagues are all over it so I will change my approach with local customers and offer a little taste with a good chat.

As for the suit and whilst I like the idea of walking around the neighbourhood in bright pink with a pair of marigolds, the current sight after any inspection due to the hot weather is appalling... I am usually dripping from head to toes!

Latest posts

Back