Confused about the state of my hive (Queenless?)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyPayne

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I split my hive about three weeks ago and left a couple queen cells to succeed the queen I removed. When I looked today I could still find no queen but there were new queen cells in various states of build (and some queen cups) There is also brood at various stages of development. The questions I have are:

is there likely to be a laying worker? is the sealed queen cell going to be viable?

I spent about half an hour looking for the queen and I'm reasonably sure I didn't miss her.

One thought I have is that I could combine this hive with another one as I do have more than I want at the moment. but I any advice on this would be useful please.

Another thing is that there is almost a full super on top of the hive, should I keep adding supers even in the current queenright/queenless situation?

Pictures of brood pattern would help. You have something laying that's for sure and you can't combine until you sort out who's laying eggs.

When you left them a couple of cells, did you return a few days later to remove any others they might build?
Were these two cells you left open and charged?
Only three weeks ago, far to soon to be looking for a queen or signs of laying.

Thanks both, the brood is a bit sporadic and isn't what I'm used to but I don't have any experience of laying workers to compare. I didn't take any pictures, but if I open it again I'll try and remember.

First time round I left two sealed cells and didn't realise I should have gone back in and cleared any new ones. I don't think the ones present today are the same ones but I don't know what happened to them. Should I just leave it alone for a while, if so, how long?

Laying workers cannot reach the bottom of the cells. They are not that common either. You most likely have a new queen which is learning how to lay.

A pic would be useful.

PH

Laying workers cannot reach the bottom of the cells. They are not that common either. You most likely have a new queen which is learning how to lay.

A pic would be useful.

PH

I had a laying worker last year that could lay multiple eggs in the bottom of the cells i also have another this year so they are common to me..:D

IMG_0237_zpsvbf90c9z.jpg

There's always one, isn't there ! :D

Thanks for the picture. I'll look out for multiple eggs and the position in the cell the next time I do an inspection.

I had a laying worker last year that could lay multiple eggs in the bottom of the cells i also have another this year so they are common to me..:D
Beejasus, that is one bad case of Laying workers. Never seen that number of eggs in one cell.

Latest posts

Back