Queenless nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrewapis@

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hello all

I have a swarm i suspected they were queenless. I added a frame of brood from another hive. They have built a queen cell on another frame does this mean they are queenless stil. Also if they are queenless can I knock of the queen cell and introduce a mated queen or leave them to it.

Many thanks

Thanks that's very helpful. I was just worried they would struggle to build up well enough for winter if I let them make there own queen.

added a frame of brood from another hive. They have built a queen cell on another frame
Yes, puzzling chronology.

Could be that they were already superseding and are queenright, or currently superseding but queenless (they swarmed on it) or bees could have moved an egg from the given frame and made a QC, whether they're Q+ or Q-.

Andrew: was the QC seen before you gave the frame of brood? Are eggs present now?

currently superseding but queenless (they swarmed on it)
not necessarily, there are two types of supersedure:
Perfect, where the bees wait until the new queen is proven before doing away with the old one
or imperfect, where they do away with the old queen as soon as they have a viable queencell

Last edited:
Yes, puzzling chronology.

Could be that they were already superseding and are queenright, or currently superseding but queenless (they swarmed on it) or bees could have moved an egg from the given frame and made a QC, whether they're Q+ or Q-.

Andrew: was the QC seen before you gave the frame of brood? Are eggs present now?
Hi Eric yes the cell was made after the frame of brood. I haven't seen any new eggs as of yet. The cell has larvae in it.

Latest posts

Back