Swarm advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrewapis@

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hello all. I have recently been given a swarm to look after its in a nuc box. There is no sign of any eggs at all. I spoke to the lady from the association she said it's either queenless or has a virgin queen. She advised me to put in a frame of eggs and see if they build a queen cell. I really can't get hold of a frame of eggs. Would there be an alternative method without the frame of eggs an suggestions much appreciated.

How long have you had the swarm should be the first question? I’d suggest if you collected over 2 weeks ago you should be worried!

Could you get hold of a small piece of comb with eggs from another beekeeper & inset that into one of your own combs?

It's quite possible it is a cast swarm headed by a virgin, in which case it could be a while until you see eggs.

Hello yes I've had it about a week and half.Inspected it last week. Thanks for the advice I will try and get some eggs as soon as possible. I only took the swarm because it had no where else to go did it as a bit of a rescue.

Hello yes I've had it about a week and half.Inspected it last week. Thanks for the advice I will try and get some eggs as soon as possible. I only took the swarm because it had no where else to go did it as a bit of a rescue.
Be patient. What have you got to lose.

Latest posts

Back