Combining should I and when

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itchyhives

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
1 Nat and 1 Nuc
Over the winter I was thinking I would like to increase my hive numbers from 2 to possibly 3 or 4. After the last week I now have 5. Provided they all get mated ok I'm now finding I'm thinking about uniting! In order for me to improve my honey crop this year do I wait a few weeks then reunite some. Wait until mid summer for them to build numbers then combine for summer flow. Or let them do there thing and get them built up seeing what state there in for winter.

I have a Nuc box left and an old shed of a bait hive up a tree for spare equipment. After this crazy spell is out the way in regards to AS will it settle down or should I start knocking together more kit!?

Thoughts please. :grouphug:

Itchy

I would wait until they get mated she which ones you want to keep based on laying pattern etc & then at that stage combine before the middle of June for the main flow.

Last edited:
I would bring the colonies you wish to unite close together. Then I guess it is a case of monitoring the status of each one, meaning, you do not really want to be culling mated and egg laying queens until you know how the land lies. You can't go much wrong with the nespaper method.

If your bees are on single National brood chambers you might want to give consideration to using larger brood chambers to help get them of the swarming track in the first place.

And depending where you are, there might not be much of a summer flow. Not much honey in the field in my district in July/Aug.

Latest posts

Back