Colony depleted

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midgey

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I created a nuc about 3 weeks ago with 2 frames of brood and bees and a new queen. All seemed to be going well until this evening when I have found almost all of the bees dead on the floor of the nuc and only a handful and the queen still alive. What can I do to save this queen? I have one other colony but I'm not sure that they are strong enough to donate brood/bees at this point in the season without jeopardising their survival too! Any suggestions gratefully received.

Well firstly work out why the bees died, maybe lack of stores? If your other hive is a reasonable size they will easily provide a new nuc to introduce your queen to, how many frames of bees and brood?

Last edited:
Might be struggling to fight off wasps

Colonies in poly nucs (poly recommended for jobs like this) can be remarkably robust but agree it sounds like starvation and they do starve. You can split onto your Q but feed everyone "2:1" (2kg sugar to 1.25l water).

Sadly I think that you are right, I cant have been paying sufficient attention. I have started another nuc with the queen who survived and I will be feeding them like mad to make sure that this doesn't happen again.

Keep the entrance small and don’t feed for a couple of days if you have made the nuc up from hive next door. Also make sure you don’t splash any syrup about.

Latest posts

Back