Colander Hive - preview.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Claims of a 'preference' being made, when no data has been included of cavities observed that the bees did NOT inhabit. (i.e. chose not to inhabit)

2. In nest box selection experiment - bees actually preferred to set-up home in a chimney, rather than the experimental bait boxes. This event was not disclosed until a book was written later about the experimental method.
LJ

That he hadn't had tested with an exhaustive list of attributes does not invalidate the work. That chimney had a attribute those bees preferred that wasn't in the test boxes, possibly wall thickness. That he failed to isolate the attribute that a chimney has for bees does not mean honeybees don't look for the attributes he tested. U

Last edited:
If the bees use more than one of the entrances, what if they differentiate according to what they are bringing to the hive? Pollen at the top, nectar at the bottom, water in the middle and so on. Wouldn't that be fascinating?

And wouldn't it be fun if you number the bees so you could tell if the entrance they first use when making orientation flights is the one they use exclusively till they die?

Fascinating, fun - great words. Sometimes I think people forget the 'fun' element, the 'curiosity' element of beekeeping. :)

Thinks - if I was 'the bee in charge', then I'd set up a traffic flow system: IN at the bottom; OUT at the top ... :)
LJ

Oval shape of brood

When I use terrarium heaters in hives in spring, bees do brood clearly from frame corner to corner.

Oval shape is clearly heat controlling system. Bees do not have afford to use whole frame because corners are cool at night. So they store honey and pollen around the brood.

Later, when summer is warm and colony big, they can use for brood whole frames.

...Thinks - if I was 'the bee in charge', then I'd set up a traffic flow system: IN at the bottom; OUT at the top ... :)
LJ

Yes, but bees are girls, not blokes, they like to chitchat and touch and gossip while they work, and you can't do that with a one way system that just funnels them in and out ;):D

So, for anyone who might still be interested in this experiment, or simply amused by it - here's an update ...

Here's one of the boxes, showing the 14x12 foundationless frames made for this purpose, with top bars suitably marked to show their position, as I'm mainly interested in what the girls do (if anything) with the comb nearest the entrances.

23t5xt5.jpg

With both boxes stacked and a crown board in place:

2mx0c4h.jpg

And 'The Full Monty' with feeder shell and a hat on top.

2zyvnk5.jpg

So - we're now ready to go, and straining at the leash. The boxes will be living outside from now on, in order to 'weather' the paint and remove any smells of new paint before occupation.
LJ

It's very nice and an interesting experiment ... My money is on the bees sealing up most of them with propolis ... I reckon they might just leave the bottom ones open - perhaps 3 or 4. But, I've never known my bees do what I expected so I will be just as soon wrong !!

Anyone else care to stick their necks out about what bees will do ?

I think I agree with you, P. The bottom few certainly
Maybe they will leave a top one open.
Maybe they might seal some and open them again.
Are you putting supers with holes on as well?
Sorry if you've already said....

A fascinating experiment. I will follow this with interest. :)

Last edited:
I think I agree with you, P. The bottom few certainly
Maybe they will leave a top one open.
Maybe they might seal some and open them again.
Are you putting supers with holes on as well?
Sorry if you've already said....

A fascinating experiment. I will follow this with interest. :)

I'm well-pleased that others are interested in this ...

No supers for now, as I reckon ten 14x12" frames will provide them with more than enough comb to live on for the first year. Depending on what happens (I also suspect they'll use all the holes, at least initially) I may or may not add extra boxes.

But first, I have to get me a prime swarm ('cause I'd much prefer 'a fresh start'). I do have a couple of colonies which are 'busting at the seams' so they're odds-on favourite as donors - but maybe they won't play ball ?
LJ

But first, I have to get me a prime swarm ('cause I'd much prefer 'a fresh start'). I do have a couple of colonies which are 'busting at the seams' so they're odds-on favourite as donors - but maybe they won't play ball ?
LJ

I can just see you mounting watch on the apiary in shifts :)

Latest posts

Back