Colander Hive - preview.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bees orientate the comb at right angles to the ley line the colony is placed on

Nos da

leylines-britain.jpg

That map is a load of hogwash, probably drawn up by the Flat Earth Society who are known for bathing in Unicorn milk and dancing with faeries.

Perhaps should have said.... lines of anomalies in the Earths field that bees and other sensitive life forms can detect.. and although have been demonstrated to exist, have as yet been explained by current science.
QED

Yeghes da

Seeley, T.D. & Morse, R.A., 1978. Nest site selection by the honey bee,Apis mellifera. Insectes Sociaux, 25(4), pp.323–337. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF02224297.

Abstract

1. Honey bees exhibit preferences in several nest site properties. The following preferences were identified («>» means «preferred to»): nest height, 5>1 m; entrance area, 12.5>75 cm2; entrance position, bottom >top of nest cavity, entrance direction, southward>northward; nest cavity volume, 10<40>100 liters. 2. The data also suggest preferences exist for previously inhabited nest cavities and for nest sites beyond 300 m from the parent colony. 3. Nest sites with high exposure and visibility were occupied more rapidly than sites with low exposure and visibility. However, this difference probably reflects differential ease of nest site discovery rather than a preference for exposed nest sites. 4. No preferences were found in the following variables: entrance shape (slit vs. circle), nest cavity shape (cube vs. tall parallelepiped), cavity draftiness (sound vs. drafty), and cavity dryness (wet vs. dry). Cavity draftiness and dryness are probably important to bees, but because bees can seal and waterproof their nests, they may be less demanding about these two nest site variables than about those they cannot modify. 5. The complex process of nest site selection apparently benefits a honey bee colony in several ways, including facilitation of colony defense and hygiene, simplification of nest construction and microclimate control, and reduction of foraging competition with the parent colony.

Seeley, T.D. & Morse, R.A., 1978. Nest site selection by the honey bee,Apis mellifera. Insectes Sociaux, 25(4), pp.323–337. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF02224297.

Abstract

1. Honey bees exhibit preferences in several nest site properties. The following preferences were identified («>» means «preferred to»): nest height, 5>1 m; entrance area, 12.5>75 cm2; entrance position, bottom >top of nest cavity, entrance direction, southward>northward; nest cavity volume, 10<40>100 liters. 2. The data also suggest preferences exist for previously inhabited nest cavities and for nest sites beyond 300 m from the parent colony. 3. Nest sites with high exposure and visibility were occupied more rapidly than sites with low exposure and visibility. However, this difference probably reflects differential ease of nest site discovery rather than a preference for exposed nest sites. 4. No preferences were found in the following variables: entrance shape (slit vs. circle), nest cavity shape (cube vs. tall parallelepiped), cavity draftiness (sound vs. drafty), and cavity dryness (wet vs. dry). Cavity draftiness and dryness are probably important to bees, but because bees can seal and waterproof their nests, they may be less demanding about these two nest site variables than about those they cannot modify. 5. The complex process of nest site selection apparently benefits a honey bee colony in several ways, including facilitation of colony defense and hygiene, simplification of nest construction and microclimate control, and reduction of foraging competition with the parent colony.

No mention of lines of anomalies in the Earths field that bees and other sensitive life forms can detect.. and although have been demonstrated to exist, have as yet been explained by current science.

Perhaps they did not test for them?

Yeghes da

No mention of lines of anomalies in the Earths field that bees and other sensitive life forms can detect.. and although have been demonstrated to exist, have as yet been explained by current science.

Perhaps they did not test for them?

Yeghes da

I wasnt answering about the "ley lines" for those I refer to Prof Brian Cox's answers to similar subjects on the "Infinite Monkey Cage"

Or do they put the brood near an entrance?
Or perhaps it is just a standard thing that bees tend to put the brood nest near the entrance and honey storage away from it. Even tropical races exhibit this tendency to a very strong degree which suggests it is not an adaptation to cold climates.

Or do they put the brood near an entrance?

Back to that odd question.

When two boxes are full of brood, it is as near entrance as back all.

Funny issue.

You can see the brood figure in there frames, where brood has been. It has been in the centre of the frame. Never tilted towards entrance

YOu have seen that from the first day of beekeeping.. What a discussion!

Bees do not make brood near the entrances of honey box. Even there brood are in the middle of frames in lower edge. Never seen that?

frame-of-brood.jpg

Last edited:
Dr. Ed Southwick, State University of New York Albany showed that he could get the brood rearing cluster to move up or down in the hive by where the entrance was located.

Yes, but it makes no sense to play that in real beekeeping.

In my 3-brood box system I open main entrance totally in main flow. Then brood nest moves to second and third box from lowest box and bees fill the lowest box with pollen.
At the end of July I put entrance reducer on, and I push the queen to lay in the middle of pollen store.

In excluder system the brood nest cannot move to better place.

Last edited:
When I have 2 brood systems in early spring, and I have terrarium heaters on the floors, the queen comes easily to lay into bottom box combs, because box is warm.

One summer it was very hot and I opened all upper entrances. But the hives become chilly because several queens moved to lay into the uppermost honey box and made brood nest into capped honey combs.

but but and but. Every one can see things with their own eyes.

That topmost box laying happened one year out of 50. Not worth even to mention it.

it would be interesting to set up another in the same way, but with empty frames or just top bars, to see which way the bees would choose to orient their nest in relation to the holes.

I'd had the same thought - and if I still had my Warre hives, then yes - that's exactly what I'd have done - but without any top bars or starter strips. But - those boxes have since been converted into 8-frame Nationals. Perhaps someone else could take-up this idea ?

When I stopped using the Warre's, I left them outside (for lack of storage room) as 'bare boxes' simply stacked on top of each other for neatness - and a swarm moved in and built combs diagonally - which I believe to be pretty standard practice. Entrance was from below.
LJ

1. Claims of a 'preference' being made, when no data has been included of cavities observed that the bees did NOT inhabit. (i.e. chose not to inhabit)

2. In nest box selection experiment - bees actually preferred to set-up home in a chimney, rather than the experimental bait boxes. This event was not disclosed until a book was written later about the experimental method.
LJ

Latest posts

Back