Cleaning/sanitising plastic Qx

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
24 + a few nucs....this has to stop!
Morning all, just wondering how beeks do the above? I tend to put them on a flat surface and scrap all the wax propolis but not sure if there is a way of sanitising which doesn't involve blowtorch or boiling water and bleach. Thanks

I don’t have many but I generally put them in the freezer then crack off all the wax/propolis and leave them outside all winter

You could use Milton but thats still a type of bleach despite the picture of the cute sprog on the container.
Ease of cleaning is the sole reason why I've landed on the stainless steel hertzog ones from thornes as my M.O.
Into a gravel tray,a dash of soda,scrub with Brillo pad and rinse with boiling water.Quick and easy

Into a gravel tray,a dash of soda,scrub with Brillo pad and rinse with boiling water.Quick and easy
That's what I do to all my excluders.stainless, galvanised or plastic. You don't always get rid of every bit of propolis but it seems to sanitise them ok.

I once poured boiling water onto a green plastic one and it curled up.Not one I'd tust for primary purpose again.
I had some galvanised ones from BE that had slots that were ragged edged and some from stbk that developed rust patches within a few months.
I can scrub the galvanised surface and it quickly comes up like new which is all very nice but thats eroding the surface away.
Other than the eyewatering price ,so far the Rand ones seem to be the best yet

Latest posts

Back