Chicken coop/tractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A word of caution: Hens are messy eaters and, if you live in the countryside, you'll inevitably find the odd rat or two dining on your hen food. If you're a good shot with a .22 you will be kept busy. Just something to be aware of before you go into it.

Not just in the countryside ... I live in the middle of the town and we get rats attracted to our hens .. I have a Weirauch .177 and I use hollow nose pellets .. knocks a rat dead if you can hit it. The little beggars are very fast ..I found traps were virtually useless but a bait area that they can get used to that's visible to an upstairs window - and a bit of patience .. works a treat. Think I've shot all the ones that were around my hens now .. but, they will be back !

I have 1" fox proof mesh on my run and you would be amazed at what size rat can get through that size mesh. Golden rule is definitely take the food out of the run at night and keep it in metal containers .. second rule, try and keep the area around the run clear as possible, rats are not keen to cross open spaces - but - if they are hungry they will do almost anything to get at food. And DIG ... you would not believe how well rats can dig ....

I made myself a night vision kit no very few rats left in my barn and stables

A good many years ago...I went to see a patient at their home...an old lady who was quite housebound. I sat in a chair facing to garden...it was a lovely day sunny and warm...the patio doors were open. In the garden near to doors was a bird table. It was lovely to watch the birds coming...until....from under the hedge a creature ran out, around the bird table and ran up the wood...grabbed mouthfuls of food and scampered down again. I froze rigid...it was a huge and I mean huge RAT. I quietly got up and slid the door shut. As we sat there...a whole family of rats came out picking up the food...running up and down the bird table. Whilst the old lady exclaimed over the antics of her family of....SQUIRRELS!!!!!
I chickened out and rang the son to inform him that his mother was hosting the rats from hell on her patio.

Whilst the old lady exclaimed over the antics of her family of....SQUIRRELS!!!!!

My wife did something like that many years ago when we lived in Copenhagen. She pointed out the cute squirrels in the yard - when I told her what kind of squirrels they were she freaked. The city had the exterminators out the following day - very prompt!

Ever since a shrew ran up the inside of my drainpipe jeans...when I was 14 ....I have had a mortal dread of mice and rats and spiders....well anything that scurries!

Trap them.. easy peasy

I wish it was .. I've tried just about every rat trap and bait there is available and only got one rat ... rats are neophobic and I've left the traps baited and unset then set them after a week of baiting - and they ignore them. I've tried plain corn, peanut butter, peanut butter and chocolate mixed, bread, apple, chocolate on it's own, marmite on toast, hen food .. you name it - I've tried it. Humane traps, wooden spring traps, plastic spring traps, tunnel traps, electric zappers ... One rat is all I've managed to catch by trapping ..

So - what's your secret ??

Ever since a shrew ran up the inside of my drainpipe jeans...when I was 14 ....I have had a mortal dread of mice and rats and spiders....well anything that scurries!

Satisfy my curiosity.... Did it reach the top?
:)

I wish it was .. I've tried just about every rat trap and bait there is available and only got one rat ... rats are neophobic and I've left the traps baited and unset then set them after a week of baiting - and they ignore them. I've tried plain corn, peanut butter, peanut butter and chocolate mixed, bread, apple, chocolate on it's own, marmite on toast, hen food .. you name it - I've tried it. Humane traps, wooden spring traps, plastic spring traps, tunnel traps, electric zappers ... One rat is all I've managed to catch by trapping ..

So - what's your secret ??

Bury a mk4 in the run and scatter a hand full of wheat/ dry dog food on the trigger plate, box the trap in though to stop any none target species.

Fennsset6406004_zps4799d617.jpg

Or you could try this..

RatSnares4406002-1-1_zps7eaf6599.jpg

Snaredrat002_zpsb9f00b64.jpg

O these.. lol.

abbi%20quad%20and%20ratting%20chicken%20farm%20229_zpshcygrw9w.jpg

Good job Jonnybeegood is no longer on the forum with the above photo.

I keep MK4 Fen traps in tunnels near my chickens all the time and check them when I feed the hens. I did this originally to get stoats which killed most of my bantams. Since then I have regularly caught the odd rat. Far cheaper and safer than rat bait.

Even caught a rat in a mole trap a couple weeks ago.

Mike

Good job Jonnybeegood is no longer on the forum with the above photo.

I keep MK4 Fen traps in tunnels near my chickens all the time and check them when I feed the hens. I did this originally to get stoats which killed most of my bantams. Since then I have regularly caught the odd rat. Far cheaper and safer than rat bait.

Even caught a rat in a mole trap a couple weeks ago.

Mike

That is by far the best and safest method with Fenn's IMO i do the same but i always stick a hand full of wheat in for good measure..

I have never caught a rat in a mole trap but i caught 4 of these last year, a friend of mine has also caught several weasels.

whitemole002_zps3359c5ee.jpg

Last edited:
Can you imagine having to feed and water all this lot after they had dealt with your rats?
I took the picture Erica and that is one of my pooches 6th from the left my lady friend is also in the picture, that is the most we have had upto now 530 in that picture,and probably the most red mite i have ever been covered in, we used to regularly get in the region of 350 on a big shooting estate near Helmsley North Yorkshire but the land is going to farming now instead of pheasant and partridge rearing so them day's are over, as for feeding us we take our own delights..;)

Millet,
Love it! It must be 40 years or more since I set a spring trap. And the dogs, great stuff.
Thank you, i love it myself i have only been messing about with traps/dogs/guns and ferrets for the past 30 yrs but its one thing i never get bored or sick of.

This is the best ratting terrier i have owned and been around,he had to be put to sleep 7mth ago at the grand old age of 16yrs and 2mth, he was also a good little fox muncher but that's another story, sorry for going on but i could start another thread in another section on ratting where i have thousands of good action pictures, if anyone is interested.

rats2-1.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back