Chicken coop/tractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dn170221

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Three
Hi folks,
we are nearing the end of building a new house out in the country. We would like to keep some chickens probably no more than 4 or so. Does anyone here keep chickens and know of a similar chicken keeper resource similar to this fantastic forum. Also looking for plans for a chicken coop if anyone knows of any, the interweb seems to be full of sites looking payment!!!!

Practical poultry forum is good site��

The Accidental Smallholder has lots of different sections but they now also have ads which sometimes can be a pain

so where does the tractor feature in all this?

The tractor bit involves wheels so you can easily move the coop around on the grass.

Not normally involving a tractor
chicken-tractor-010b.jpg

Omlet make hen coops and larger ones too. Some have wheels so you can move them about. Expensive to buy new but sometimes you see them for sale on eBay etc
Some people don't like them as they are plastic...but control of red mite is easier..... we ditched our wooden hen house as the red mites were the pits!
We used all the bombs, liquid sprays , powders etc...but they still came back.
We have 2 ...a cube on wheels and a smaller one which could be converted to a Go up on wheels.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I have signed up for a local course and may give making a coop a go. For those of you interested if you do an internet search for harriets house coop there are a few designs that seem to be the basis for a decent coop I might use.

The chickens are dirt cheep, the food is dirt cheep, the coop to keep the fox out is expensive! Kept five or so chickens for years. Wouldn't be with out them. They have a house in a coop you can stand up in. We leave them locked in that when we are out. When we are in garden they free range in fenced orchard. They can and will fly unless you clip wings, especially when young. We tried meat hens but....... A lot of faff. Good if you want to do it all yourself and was a valuable learning experience. Not least to learn how to kill a chicken efficiently.
Make sure you don't name them or you will not be able to eat them!
Hee hee!
E

A word of caution: Hens are messy eaters and, if you live in the countryside, you'll inevitably find the odd rat or two dining on your hen food. If you're a good shot with a .22 you will be kept busy. Just something to be aware of before you go into it.

Also, if you think you might get more, get them straight away. Once they sort out the pecking order in the flock, they won't like any new arrivals joining in. Its best to get them all at the same time so they all have to adapt to new surroundings together.

We have 6 and get 1-2 eggs per day. They go off-lay in the winter months so its a good idea to get more hens than the number of eggs you want per day. They will all lay in the same nest box so don't feel you have to make a coop with lots of nest boxes.

If you're a good shot with a .22 you will be kept busy.-

A .177 may be better for some - for a flatter trajectory - as less adjustment needed for a changing range.

But I do prefer the heavier projectile, so perhaps comes down to personal preference.

I had read about a feeder called a "grandpa feeder" that may mitigate the rat issue, but I do realise there isn't much chance of avoiding them!
Not sure about the gun, I have two young boys who would go bat crazy if they knew I had a gun and they weren't allowed a "go"

I agree they have to learn, maybe wait until they are older (4 and 7 ATM)

Hens are messy eaters and, if you live in the countryside, you'll inevitably find the odd rat or two dining on your hen food

I have a 12x15 feet walk-in-run so that I can leave the hens there for two or three days if I go away. Their feeders are all in there. The floor has been lined with weld mesh so no little ratties get in. I used to have a real problem with rats even climbing up to the bird feeders but since husband took care of the run I haven't seen a single one.

Latest posts

Back