Cheap clear crownboards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pargyle

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Down at my local amenity tip,recycling site today depositing more of my 'treasures' I found that they had started recycling plastics and lo and behold there was one of their blokes removing the aluminium framing from some CLEAR ACRYLIC SHOWER SCREENS ... 6mm acrylic in really good condition and 500mm x 1800mm ... So I swapped one set of 'treaures' for another set of 'treasures' .. 'er indoors is not going to be best impressed if she sees them !

So ....it's worth having a word with your local recycling centre - he told me to just take it as it was not the sort of 'plastic' they wanted and it would just go to landfill .. there's at least three more crownboards in that sheet and cost ... NOTHING (apart from the potential for a little marital stress ....).

My usual supply has dried up as they have realised there is value in their offcuts and now want to sell them ... can't blame them really but I didn't want to pay full price for acrylic. One door closes, another door opens ...

I put my feelers out last week and in exchange for 6 cans of beer, I had 8 pieces cut to 450 x 450! Happy days.

I keep a few pots of honey in my truck for such eventualities. Its amazing how people remember you when you bribe them!! Dumps are great resources to beekeepers, i only wish we had a "Skip Cam", especially for the incinerable and pallet section, i could pop around and just help myself when something good turns up!!

I keep a few pots of honey in my truck for such eventualities. Its amazing how people remember you when you bribe them!! Dumps are great resources to beekeepers, i only wish we had a "Skip Cam", especially for the incinerable and pallet section, i could pop around and just help myself when something good turns up!!

Yes .. yes ... I like that idea .. live feed to your local tip ... would save about half of what goes into the skips I reckon ! Probably better viewing than most of the reality TV !!!

Yes .. yes ... I like that idea .. live feed to your local tip ... would save about half of what goes into the skips I reckon ! Probably better viewing than most of the reality TV !!!

:iagree: There was a lovely sheet of 16mm ply last week:drool5:,It needed cleaning up but was at least 3 nucs in the making. i saw the guy who works there, asked if i could take it, after i had emptied my truck of garden waste, came back around after dumping to find the skip had gone.
Gutted.com:eek:

Daytime tv, well say no more, if your deranged enough to watch it!:sos:

Last edited:
Ours have tightened up, now you can only take from the top of the skip, it has to be at reachable level. Suppose their sick of seeing my feet sticking up in the air all the time!!:icon_204-2:

Managed to make 3 complete clear crown boards today out of my free polycarbonate sheet, I need to thickness some more wood to make the rest.

Managed to make 3 complete clear crown boards today out of my free polycarbonate sheet, I need to thickness some more wood to make the rest.

Do you need rigid crown boards for anything in particular?
I bought a 50m roll of clear plastic from the builders merchant. Whenever I need a new one, I just cut a strip off with a pair of scissors.

Do you need rigid crown boards for anything in particular?
I bought a 50m roll of clear plastic from the builders merchant. Whenever I need a new one, I just cut a strip off with a pair of scissors.

Sounds interesting, in fact I was offered a 3M long roll of clear high grade plastic last week, I may just go and pick it up.

I would have thought the plastic from a roll would be flexible, sagging down onto the frames and leaving less beespace.
Also, you can't adapt it to put a feeder on top of it for the same reason. Or add a porter bee escape.

I would have thought the plastic from a roll would be flexible, sagging down onto the frames and leaving less beespace.
Also, you can't adapt it to put a feeder on top of it for the same reason. Or add a porter bee escape.
I sometimes use plastic sheeting as a crown board, it does the job and stops the bees attaching the frames to the roof. I haven't noticed any problem with it sagging or with it being glued to the top bars.

If I want to use a clearer board or a feeder board I have those too, but I have to admit that I wouldn't ever use a Porter Bee Escape because most modern ones will jam and there are more efficient ones on the market.

Latest posts

Back