Chalk brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louiseww

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 hives
I got a nucleus from the local association two years ago and it has always been heavily infested with the chalk brood virus, only just realising that this was a very bad thing to do to a beginner. Of course I didn't realise much at the time being a novice - another colony started last year from this one also has it but not so bad. I have one colony that is clear of chalk brood (originally from a swarm) and intend to split that as soon as I can this year. What should I do with the heavily infested one, I know there is no cure? Would a shook swarm be any good - not into destroying colonies, any suggestions please?
Thanks Louise

Similar thing happened to me. My split from local BKA had bad chalk brood too.
They made it through the winter but the condition worsened so I got a lovely queen from Hivemaker and all is well :)

Shook swarm onto nice clean foundation on new frames in a clean .. sterilised in a scrub of hot Washing soda and a good scrub with hypochlorite and a thorough torching if not brand new brood box.
Some also use Hiveclrean.. or some similarly named proprietary product.. now this post will get banned for blatant advertising

IMO of course

Hi erica
What was the process for introducing a new queen, did you have to kill the old one? My good colony is vigorous and may be raising new queens soon, but I have sent Hivemaker an enquiry about his queens too.
Thanks
louise

I split a nuc off and introduced the queen to that then united nuc to queenless colony
....sorry should have said I knobbled the old queen.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back