Thoughts? What’s Happened Here?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are currently in a double poly nuc, I left the top one on as there are stores in it.

They are currently in a double nuc so should have plenty space, at the moment (considering putting them just in single nuc)

The queen is still in there (see pic 1)

End of July, a smallish swarm, queen was a drone layer so shook them out, many went to this hive. I also gave them a frame of brood from one colony to boost numbers and they have still struggled on.
Single nuc at most. If there aren't many, less space is important. They will need less in the way of stores and you can always switch those frames in. Only if you get numbers increasing a lot would I recommend giving lots of space. If you're trying to get these back to preserve the line, it's going to be quite involved. You may also need to supplement pollen over winter term facilitate rearing brood.

Single nuc at most. If there aren't many, less space is important. They will need less in the way of stores and you can always switch those frames in. Only if you get numbers increasing a lot would I recommend giving lots of space. If you're trying to get these back to preserve the line, it's going to be quite involved. You may also need to supplement pollen over winter term facilitate rearing brood.
Would pollen substitute patties suffice? I have some of those.

If they are in trouble it is bit late to expect brood to be laid though she may lay a tiny patch, if treating by sublimination then yes 3 or 4 vapes every fifth day if brood is present will rid most of the varroa. They will need numbers to pull through till spring.
I wouldn't fiddle and open them now best bet is a sheltered spot and some thermal jacket/cover if they aren't already in a poly nuc set up.
Simply vape from below if on a mesh floor.

you often see multiple eggs in cells with colonies suffering nosemosis.
nosema can also stop the queen laying and mess her insides up so she doesn't fertilize eggs. Thymol in syrup can fix this normally but it leads to supersedure because the queen is never any good after being infected.
The colony is unlikely to survive.

you often see multiple eggs in cells with colonies suffering nosemosis.
nosema can also stop the queen laying and mess her insides up so she doesn't fertilize eggs. Thymol in syrup can fix this normally but it leads to supersedure because the queen is never any good after being infected.
The colony is unlikely to survive.
I'm not terribly hopeful for them but I'll do all the things suggested and let nature do the rest.

Update on this colony, unfortunately they’ve not made it even into winter. I was up doing my vape yesterday at the apiary and there was no sound at all from this hive and lots of dead looking under the mesh so opened up and could see no bees through the crownboard. On further investigation all dead, there was literally only a handful of bees and it’s really cold now. Plenty stores! Natural selection I guess!

Latest posts

Back