Can you vape OA for mites in a hen house??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG hope the VMD do not get hold of this one?

We steam clean our hen house... but treat the chickens with an approved mite powder ( when chickens off lay or eggs have to be disposed of)
Have used Fullers earth on them in past which would have a similar irritant to the mites has that OA has on Varroa?

Yeghes da

Hi. Just wondering if you can vape OA in a chicken house to get rid of spider mites? Thanks

Chickens do not get spider mites but greenhouse plants do and a sulpher bomb usually fettles them.

Chickens will carry northern mite and a spray containing permethrin will clear them up, the real problem mites are the red mite that live in the woodwork and come out at night to feed on the chickens blood, Ficam W or something containing bendiocarb sprayed on all the perches and the internal parts of the shed will kill them, if you keep getting problems and depending on your type of shed painting the outside of the shed with proper creosote helps keep them at bay also.

if you keep getting problems and depending on your type of shed painting the outside of the shed with proper creosote helps keep them at bay also.

Don't use creosote if the hens are laying, the smell will taint the eggs.

When I had hens I fumigated the henhouse by burning sulphur. I thought sulphur was the usual go-to method for fumigating?

I do the same with my empty hives and frames in the winter.

Edit; apologies, I just saw Millet's post above where he mentions sulphur.

Last edited:
Similar question... My hive is located right next to our fairly large chicken pen. Would vaporising be unsuitable in case I literally "choke my chicken"?

You don't want to choke your chicken in the garden, that's for sure!

Similar question... My hive is located right next to our fairly large chicken pen. Would vaporising be unsuitable in case I literally "choke my chicken"?

Bottom line try it and see what happens, i do not think a chicken will hang about unless it is held and shuffled about till it spews its load/crop after vigorous activity has occurred, it will be better to lock the chook's up while you are doing the deed, that way you can do what you are doing in peace.

Thanks All
I have a couple of hen houses so would do one at a time and exclude the chickens for a few days in rotation.
Don't want any choking...

Bottom line try it and see what happens, i do not think a chicken will hang about unless it is held and shuffled about till it spews its load/crop after vigorous activity has occurred, it will be better to lock the chook's up while you are doing the deed, that way you can do what you are doing in peace.

I cant decide if your actually advising or speaking in innuendo or both. :laughing-smiley-004

Hi. Just wondering if you can vape OA in a chicken house to get rid of spider mites? Thanks

If you have an Infestation of red mites it's something to try when chickens are removed. However the majority of the mites are sheltering in cracks and crannies during the day, only emerging at night to feed off chicken blood. You'd be better to dust the interior of the hen house with diatomacious earth with a liberal coating on the perches. The chickens can also be dusted. Food grade DE is available if you are concerned about these things. You can even buy it for human consumption. Google will give you lots of information and Amazon are one source of the stuff.

I cant decide if your actually advising or speaking in innuendo or both. :laughing-smiley-004
I was taking the pee ;) , the oxalic acid will have no affect on red mite, i have sprayed neat bleach on problem red mite and even used proper sprays that apparently kill red mite none of which have worked for me the only method i found to 100% clear the sheds was bendiocarb ficam W, it dries within hours and is harmless to the chooks but it stays active on the surface for around 12 days, anything that crawls or flies touches that surface within that period is toasted, the only sad thing with it i like spiders but it also kills them.

Red mites in the chicken coop and on chickens best delt with diatomaceous earth. Dust the coop inside all nooks and crevices and chickens too. Kills them by piercing the mites outer shell.

Latest posts

Back