Can I add water to Ambrosia Syrup?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonych224

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
As topic, Can I add water to Ambrosia Syrup so that it converts it from 2:1 to 1:1 if so how much water per litre, my maths thinks 10% ?

KISS principle in operation. Think here of a particular weight of 2:1 syrup, say 3kg being about the simplest.

3kg would be 2kg sugar to 1kg water. You want 1:1 and you have 2kgs of sugar already with 1kg of water. For 2kg sugar of 1:1 ratio you would need 2kg water. As you already have 1kg the maths for the additional water is fairly simple. It's not ten percent

As topic, Can I add water to Ambrosia Syrup so that it converts it from 2:1 to 1:1 if so how much water per litre, my maths thinks 10% ?

Belgosuc (same stuff in all but the name) recommend you add 1 litre of water to one of invert syrup for spring build up feeding. not that it really matters - larger bee farmers sometimes stick to the same mix 1:1 or 2:1 throughout the year - don't think the bees mind. Remember that invert syrup is a lot 'thicker. than standard 2:1 syrup.

Commercial syrups are of a higher density (Refer to my spreadsheet posted)

Typically 73%, so 1.33kg per litre, so these are 2.7:1 not 2:1

Ambrosia is useful stuff to have around.
It doesn't set or ferment.
It is more valuable than mere white sugar.
Keep it!

Just get some sugar to make up some 1:1 (if you think yours even need the 1:1 - mine don't.)
Hang onto the Ambrosia at full strength.

Latest posts

Back