1:1 Syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyww

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked a thousand times, I've searched but I find many conflicting answers.

I'm about to receive a new nuc. It’s been suggested that I feed this with a 1:1 syrup.

My interpretation is that this is 1:1 by weight, given that 1 litre of water weighs about a 1KG, so I'll mix this with 1KG of sugar (warming, but not boiling the water to allow the sugar to dissolve).

Does this sound correct?

Many Thanks,

Andy.

Yes that’s fine…..it need not be any more complicated. Feed in poor weather will benefit them but most nucs from reputable suppliers come ready to go into a full hive and with some stores, if there are frames of complete stores I’d add a frame of foundation up against the brood frames then existing stores then the rest of the new frames. If the weather is good there may be little need to feed so use your judgement, Do not feed huge amounts you’ll be checking weekly so can add or stop depending on what the weathers doing. I’d suggest a couple of pints to get them going and then check the following week.

thank you.
No problem I’ve seen beginners not feed and not open a nuc due to bad weather and the bees starve. On the other hand some feed so much syrup they’ll cram the brood box and swarm.
As the bees draw new frames if these fill with syrup/nectar replace with new foundation frames up against the brood area. Basically you want the new frames laid in not filled with stores. Filled frames of stores will act as a wall and the queen will rarely split the brood nest and pop the other side to continue its expansion.

Last edited:
Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked a thousand times, I've searched but I find many conflicting answers.

I'm about to receive a new nuc. It’s been suggested that I feed this with a 1:1 syrup.

My interpretation is that this is 1:1 by weight, given that 1 litre of water weighs about a 1KG, so I'll mix this with 1KG of sugar (warming, but not boiling the water to allow the sugar to dissolve).

Does this sound correct?

Many Thanks,

Andy.
Traditionally 1:1 syrup was pound of sugar to a pint of water. Which is a ratio by weight of 1:1.25 but as people have said many times here it makes very little difference to the bees 😊

Latest posts

Back