Syrup Feeder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Good morning to you all, I have been using a large Thorn/English syrup feeder 6ltr. I have had my first colony of Bees "caught swarm" for nearly eight weeks and using a syrup feeder since, I have been using about 3 kg/ bags of sugar a week at 2 water to 1 sugar same weight. all going well, yesterday went to check if they needed any more syrup and found about 50 dead Bees inside the donut bit of the feeder, it was almost like there had been a rush for the syrup and the bees had drowned blocking off access to the syrup? The feeder has never even been close to full, 1.5 Ltr max each time. any information or advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks Sean

You have already put 24 Kg of sugar into that colony. What is the state of the colony now ( how many frames of brood/bees/stores.?
Probably time to stop feeding and consider your varroa control

check the surfaces of the cone and inside the little covering cap - they should feel "rough or ridged" if not or not very rough scuff them up with sandpaper to increase grip for their feet.

PS I agree with @drex

Good morning to you all, I have been using a large Thorn/English syrup feeder 6ltr. I have had my first colony of Bees "caught swarm" for nearly eight weeks and using a syrup feeder since, I have been using about 3 kg/ bags of sugar a week at 2 water to 1 sugar same weight. all going well, yesterday went to check if they needed any more syrup and found about 50 dead Bees inside the donut bit of the feeder, it was almost like there had been a rush for the syrup and the bees had drowned blocking off access to the syrup? The feeder has never even been close to full, 1.5 Ltr max each time. any information or advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks Sean
Rough up the inside of the cover and the cone with coarse sandpaper to give them a good grip.

check the surfaces of the cone and inside the little covering cap - they should feel "rough or ridged" if not or not very rough scuff them up with sandpaper to increase grip for their feet.

PS I agree with @drex
Snap! Oops!

Thanks guys, all ten frames full, looks good lots of brood, Bees and stores lots of eggs and pupae and Bees.
Queen also looking good.

Just be aware there are still 3 months left that bees can be very active obviously depending on weather and location, if there’s a decent ivy flow in your area you may even want to consider removing a frame or 2. Monitor your hive through this period do not consider the job done. With continued brood rearing or robbers hives can become surprisingly light during this period!

its a bit fidgety but i put some old matchsticks inside the cup to act as floats . fixed the problem.

all ten frames full, looks good lots of brood, Bees and stores lots of eggs and pupae and Bees
Assessment best done by numbers of frames.

For example, if you had eight frames of syrup stored and only three of brood (and maybe half of each of those had pollen and syrup) then the balance of stores to brood would not give you a strong colony later this autumn, as summer bees begin to reduce.

I agree with Ian: ivy is yet to come and the balance of stores to brood to broodspace needs monitoring.

Thanks Sean
I used to have same problem, now put cut off cuff part of old sock over cone, works really well, no dead bees. Gives them something to grip on to. Also a brick or heavy weight temporarily on top of cone cover while pouring syrup in.

Latest posts

Back