Can Foundation be rejuvenated.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martin.henwood

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 colonies, 2 nucs
In the process of stocktaking in my beekeeping equipment shed last week I found, some unused foundation stored in a drawer. I've also found some unused frames that my bees never drew out.

My question is: can old foundation be rejuvenated to make it more attractive to bees?

Ive heard it sometimes helps to warm it with a hairdryer then sprinkle icing sugar on it. Has anyone tried this? Does it work? Can you give me detailed instructions on how to do this?

Thank in anticipation.

Martin H.

IT is not necessary. You may put 15 years old foundations into the hive and bees will draw them without problems.

Bees draw foundations when they need them.

In the process of stocktaking in my beekeeping equipment shed last week I found, some unused foundation stored in a drawer. I've also found some unused frames that my bees never drew out.

My question is: can old foundation be rejuvenated to make it more attractive to bees?

Ive heard it sometimes helps to warm it with a hairdryer then sprinkle icing sugar on it. Has anyone tried this? Does it work? Can you give me detailed instructions on how to do this?

Thank in anticipation.

Martin H.

If its not brittle, it can be put straight into a frame and used. If its brittle, as some I rediscovered recently, warm with a hair dryer and fit. The warming make it pliable and releases scent, bees will readily take to it.
S

PS if too far gone recycle it for candles etc.

If it is flat, they will draw it when they need it. If it is not flat, they will draw it when they need it. Flat foundation makes good comb, as they will draw it as it hangs. If it was not needed or real rubbish, they would not use it - or even chew it out and replace it if they needed that space.

Think about it. Bees recycle, or rebuild unusable comb in their home when it needs to be changed, generally reducing it to the spine and rebuilding (they don’t waste energy, and time, by removing more than necessary). They don’t invite wax moth into their home to recycle wax, by abandoning parts of their home, unless for good reason. Bees are quite clever in the ways of survival, actually.

IT is not necessary. You may put 15 years old foundations into the hive and bees will draw them without problems.

Bees draw foundations when they need them.

Back up Finman 100%. Warming foundation is temporary....if the bees don't want it it will go cool again immediately, and when they do want it they cluster on it and warm it up themselves.

Age of the foundation is almost irrelevant.

Just fitted some 10yo foundation last week ourselves that was in a neighbours store, forgotten about. Apart from being almost white from the cold it is just fine. Comes back to colour perfectly once there are bees clustered on it.

However.......

Wax draws taint very easily. Anything strong smelling that is oil miscible can make it a little 'off' and then they can be resistant to it.

If it looks ok and smells ok then use it. If it looks tired and saggy replace it...its not expensive...and good combs are worth far more than the price of a decent sheet of foundation.

Used 20 year old stuff with no probs though I do give it a warm over with a hair dryer to get it smelling nice again.

PH

Thanks for the advice so far.

I'm still a bit concerned about the frames that have been in a hive and never drawn out. I've no reason to believe its inferior foundation (it was bought from a reputable supplier).

Cheers.

I'm still a bit concerned about the frames that have been in a hive and never drawn out. I've no reason to believe its inferior foundation (it was bought from a reputable supplier).

Cheers.

Put one frame next to the brood nest and give them a couple of litres of syrup when it warms up

I'm still a bit concerned about the frames that have been in a hive and never drawn out.

Cheers.

That happens when the colony do not have flow and they do not need new combs.

Those frames are a lot in autumn if the honey year has been bad.

It happens too, that if the colony has swarming fever, it does not draw foundations. They save their energy for the new hive.

When a wild colony want to enlarge its hive, it nees only empty space. It draw combs. It does not even need foundations.

Every year I keep foundations over winter against the wall, that the edge combs do not take mold. I can see, when the colonies are willing to draw combs . That happens surpringly late.

Normaly I give 2-3 boxes foundations per hive during main flow, and bees draw them when they get honey enough.

Artificial swarms draw box or two in one week.

No need to push them to draw any comb. They do it without "encouraging" and without hair dryers.

Last edited:
Put the foundation in a greenhouse or in a sunny window for 10 minutes(dont let it melt) in spring sunshine you will find it rejuvenated.

Gently warm it with a hairdryer, low setting and be careful, I found that you will see it change colour, you know its been warmed enough then. There is no real need to do it but I've found they do draw it better when its been warmed.

Latest posts

Back