Calm or Wolf in sheeps clothing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good points peter, thanks for that.
A very fine line, perhaps then i will only do so with the expanding nucs as i did last year, leave the large over wintered bees to draw without.

What's wrong with British bees?

Please forgive a novice adding his tuppence to the debate, but I thought the trend these days was away from importing foreign bees towards using British queens, more suited to our British conditions. Look what happened when we thought it was a good idea to import knotweed from Japan !
Chris

I think we do try to produce as many queens as we can,but the demand outstrips the supply,so we need to import, plus the lovely uk weather conditions not being much cop most of the time for large scale production of queens.I have allways managed to produce enough queens for myself and a few spare. some don't.Plus some like to use different breeds of queen,so import to breed from. As for importing in general,well we have allways done that,if we did not there would not be much in this country,most of the flowers in gardens,rabbits,red cedar tree's,potato, people,the list can go on and on and on.

Last edited:
Honey bees have been imported everywhere. What was good before, is not any more.
Nothing bad in that job.

Latest posts

Back