Call about bumbles

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So does the neighbours daughter stop indoors all summer just in case a bee/wasp/something else decides to sting her?

Had a swarm call last year about 'thousands of bees in a conifer hedge' neighbours children allergic etc, next door have agreed to chip in to the swarm recovery fund to get them removed quickly.

Took the camera for this monster swarm... and had to resort to macro mode. 100 bees max no queen in sight. Got them in a mini nuc in a few mins and the bloke said what about the other ones? I said there were a few foragers out but not to worry, they would soon disperse. Got the 'but the neighbours children are allergic' etc. I agreed to go back and pick up them all at sunset. Got there sealed them in...and promptly got less cash than I had used in fuel and he showed his now near empty wallet devoid of the 20 quid that he'd just handed over - but with a conspicuous Black Amex card on show. The neighbour was conveniently out for the evening and apparently promised to send a donation to the association.
I was very tempted to dump the bees on the drive on my way back to the car, and now I wish I had as a few months later nothing further had been donated.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that this happened in a line of houses that are between 500k and 750k a piece.

I had a call last week, wasps going into the small plastic vents inbetween the brickwork. I asked the normall questions. They were adamant that it was wasps. So off i trundle 50 mile round trip.
When i arrived, fella opened the door and said "oh you here to see to the bees" I thought keep calm.
Masonary bees!

Then the f$*%&&er had the gaul to say, "waisted journey then mate", didnt offer any deisel money or nout.
I firmly believe that he had another pest controller out, who refused to treat them, so got me out and see if i would.

I have thought long and hard about changing my pricing, so if i am called to a non wasp nest, then they got to pay up regardless.
But i also believe in a fair price for a good job.

I have thought long and hard about changing my pricing, so if i am called to a non wasp nest, then they got to pay up regardless.
But i also believe in a fair price for a good job.

Seems fair enough to me. I would have expected to pay, maybe not full price but at least a contribution to time, fuel etc.

Frankly I would say "Minimum call out charge £25.. if within 10 miles... £and more if greater"...

And want payment before I left...(Paypal)

I charge for the re-location of Bumble bees and they soon change their mind when money is involved suddenly the bumble bees can stay where they are!
As for false call outs standard fee applies, however, advice given if its something like wasps, solitary etc but the fuel prices must be covered and those like me who have mentioned about not undetaking a job too much risk, etc. I agree too not worth a bucket load of sorry when you are off work injured!
And they sign disclaimers before I touch ANYTHING! on the property or remove etc.

Latest posts

Back