Buzz Beekeeping Supplies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlievictorbravo

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 - 14x12
Back in 2013, I bought a Buzz bee suit on Ebay (sent from Somerset) and I've been very happy with it - until today when I got stung on the face and on the chest by bees who found a split (there were 2 splits) in the veil.

I did a Google search to try to find where I could get a replacement veil or at least from veil fabric to repair the existing veil. The Buzz website referred me to Caddon Hives in Galashiels and I've written to them. I've also written to Simon the Beekeeper, who sells Buzz clothing, to see if he can help.

Does anybody know what's happened to Buzz in Wedmore, Somerset. Has anybody successfully repaired a veil at home (how easy is it?) and if so, where did the veil fabric come from?

CVB

Attachments

• DSCN3152.jpg
    DSCN3152.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 38
hi i got a buzz jacket and viel got a few holes in it sent for one from simon the beekeeper and its a lot too big found som fabric on ebay and its easy to fit just unpick old one out and cut to size then pinned it into veil then put it on sewing machine good as new

Can you not just stitch the splits together?

I could stitch it together but my fear is that something has degraded the existing mesh (possibly ultraviolet light) and stitching it will only move the problem further along the seam or to a different seam.

Do we think that insect screen material would be effective as veil fabric?

CVB

Back in 2013, I bought a Buzz bee suit on Ebay (sent from Somerset) and I've been very happy with it - until today when I got stung on the face and on the chest by bees who found a split (there were 2 splits) in the veil.

I did a Google search to try to find where I could get a replacement veil or at least from veil fabric to repair the existing veil. The Buzz website referred me to Caddon Hives in Galashiels and I've written to them. I've also written to Simon the Beekeeper, who sells Buzz clothing, to see if he can help.

Does anybody know what's happened to Buzz in Wedmore, Somerset. Has anybody successfully repaired a veil at home (how easy is it?) and if so, where did the veil fabric come from?

CVB

Why not just buy a replacement veil from Simon? They come with both halves of the zip so if the zip teeth don't mesh with your existing suit you only need to sew the zip on.
You can save a lot of time using Mr Graham Bells new fangled telephone to actually speak to Simon the Beekeeper 01455 698242

I have a suit from Buzz as well it also has the same problem the mesh has started to split in a few places.Simon may be the answer.Its been a good suit I've replaced the elastic bits a few times.

Fragile Planet offer a veil replacement service. I used it this year - excellent both in product and service.

Fragile Planet offer a veil replacement service. I used it this year - excellent both in product and service.

Thanks for that - I've checked their website and the veil replacement service would cost £30 + postage from home. I only paid £40 for the suit 4 years ago.

SWMBO has offered to sew a new veil into the existing hood so I'm waiting on a response from Simon the Beekeeper and Craddon Hives before proceeding.

CVB

Caddon hives have the a veil for sale it looks the same not sure if it would fit though.

Thanks for that - I've checked their website and the veil replacement service would cost £30 + postage from home. I only paid £40 for the suit 4 years ago.

SWMBO has offered to sew a new veil into the existing hood so I'm waiting on a response from Simon the Beekeeper and Craddon Hives before proceeding.

CVB

My jacket cost £35 from ebay in 2010. The replacement veil is a LOT stronger - and has survived encounters with trees...more than the original did...£35 for a new veil is cheaper than a new jacket of any quality...

CVB

https://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9260&highlight=Veil+repair&page=3
Post 27

I got veil from Simon the beekeeper and it fits spot on measure the zip and give them a ring.

I got veil from Simon the beekeeper and it fits spot on measure the zip and give them a ring.

The measurement on my hood/veil is 14cm longer than the Simon the Beekeeper veil and the shape of the zip-cover at the front of the hood is different. I tried phoning StB but no reply so I sent an email. Still have not had a response from Caddon Hives - annoying isn't it?

Jenny Gammon in Taunton still seems to be in the business of repairing veils and bee suits - might give her a call tomorrow.

CVB

Latest posts

Back